KA-BAR USMC Fighting/Utility knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, a couple of things. The humongous knife is very very cool.
But, seriously, unless you are pulling a James Bond, that big a knife can be more trouble than it is worth and not useful.
You need to be able to cut line or kelp. Okay. Small titanium or solid stainles steel will take care of it. If too big, you risk cutting you or your gear on cut or backstroke of knife. Then there is the pointy part. So no hoses, skin, buddy, all sorts of stuff to stick.

MHO opinion only, is a smaller blunt tip titanium knife and a pair of EMT scissors are the way to go. I don't even carry the knife anymore. My EMT penny-cutters will cut Anything, kelp, line, wire, rope, net, you name it.
And my EMT scissors go through any airport with no problem.

Hello everybody and thank you for all of the replies!

Ultimately, I see this topic boiling-down to personal opinion as to what knife style to use. I think I have read as many replies for supporters of sawed-off steak knives as I have supporters of Mick Dundy knives.

I brought this topic up because the KA-BAR is a knife that, like a good dog, never fails its owner. So if Im in trouble underwater, I disclose it to be mandatory that I possess a knife that will deal with the situation. If not, then I drown. However, are these going to be situations that require something like a KA-BAR? According to the masses here, no.

It appears that a good corrosion resistant knife of moderate size carried in tandem with an independant pair of EMT sheers is an excellent selection. I personally like the idea of a sturdy stiletto with a serration/smooth blade combo on it. The tang running the entire length of the handle and probably being circa 1/2 the length of the KA-BAR. I like the idea of the pictured ScubaPro or Tekna that "Nemrod" mentioned and displayed on page one. Appears to be something serious, yet tame.

However, I am undecided in regards to the pointed tip. I can see that a blunt tip would remove that risk-factor, but is it really important? I mean, I deal with pointed knives everyday, like most people. So why would it be any different with one while diving?

Thanks again

A bigger problem you may have is liking the knife so much you may endanger yourself trying to recover it when you drop it. What I tell most people is only buy a knife you feel comfortable loosing. And knives are one of the most common pieces of lost gear.

I like the shears and a cheap steak knife approach. (but not too cheap, it still has to have a 'full tang" design or it will break. Entanglement in pumpkins is a pretty common and being ready is half the battle.

Hello everybody and thank you for all of the replies!

However, I am undecided in regards to the pointed tip. I can see that a blunt tip would remove that risk-factor, but is it really important? I mean, I deal with pointed knives everyday, like most people. So why would it be any different with one while diving?

Thanks again

My first instructor on advising us on dive knives noted that there are two types of knives, those that will have the tips broken off using them as a pry bar and those that are blunt where the break in was done at the factory. :D I have seen tips broken off as people used them for prying scallops from rocks in the Channel Islands, which is why I always prefer to carry an old ab iron as a pry bar and leave my knife for cutting.

The idea that a pointed knife is some kind of danger is really unsupportable in my view. If it is a danger to someone, EMT shears are probably most appropriate option for them. But, how many people use the knive as a stabbing instrument so is the point really necessary? The most useful part of the knife that I have ever used is the line cutter for the unseen monofillament and the handle when I had to use it to bang on the tank to get my buddy's attention. In other word, point or blunt is not based on a matter of function, it is based on personal preference.

KaBars are cool and using it certainly keeps up the tradition of the knife as an utilitarian aquatic tool. I have one that I got in 1974 surplus for about $2 that has a plastic sheath and is stamped USN. Never used it for diving as I perfer my Wenoka blackie colins sea style or my benchmade h20. It really is a matter of personal preference. I did give one as a gift to a friend who was deploying to Iraq earlier this year as a SAW gunner in a USMC unit. He mentioned the tradition of KaBar so I got him one for Christmas. We seem to have no shortage of knife stores in Alaska that carry it.

I have found out that if you select personal dive gear based on other people's opinion of how it looks or how appropriate it is, you will never be happy with your gear. There is nothing quite so hard on a diver's gear as another diver. If you want to use a KBar go for it. Most people I know don't make a big deal about putting on their knife so most people wouldn't notice and people who notice which knife you use are probably just looking for something to criticize to start with. If not your knife, they will find something.

I would like to understand: you are proud of your purchase: 19 cent steak knife, but your wife breaks it carving a pumpkin.

Tell me, how would you react trying to free yourself from an entanglement underwater with a steak knife that is not resistant enough to carve a pumpkin.:confused: At least bring a mirror with you just to see your face after realizing that you are left with a plastic handle to deal with a fishing net.:shakehead:

Now, there is thrifty and cheap, cutting your own hair is cheap as well as using a 19 cent knife for diving.

Yeah, but 19 cents steak knives are DIR approved.

N

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Let's just say that I do cut my own hair. And I have to say that I'd like to see you cut a heavy wire leader or a cable with any dive knife. Not that I don't believe you, it's just something I'd like to see. As for my 19 cent steak knife, I cannot be responsible for my wife's pumpkin carving technique, but personally, I usually do not put a lot of side load on a knife blade. Maybe that's how that other guy I mentioned earlier broke the handle off his Ka-Bar. I certainly had no intention of hijacking this thread, which was supposed to be about using a Ka-Bar for a dive knife. But if you really think my steak knife is such a bad idea, maybe you could get Tobin, or some of the DIR guys to explain it. Thank you.

I hate to tell ya this bucko but a good knife will cut through cable. Of course it did wear the serrated teeth down which I had to re-cut and profile but it did cut through the steel cable. Sorry but your gurus are wrong or perhaps you just misunderstand them. Keep the 19 cents useless steak knife, it has no purpose, why bother. If you are going to carry a knife get a real one that has functional--FUNCTIONAL utility.

To the OP, you can find the Tekna knife on ebay regularly, usually 20 to 50 dollars. Look for one that has the plastic locking sheath and metal clip. Shop carefully, no hurry, and you will be rewarded with a dandy of a little knife that WILL cut through cable, leader, mono and can be used to frighten metro-sexual divers with 19 cents butter knives in DIR configuration.

N

To the OP: I think you are headed in the right direction in looking for a dive knife.

I love my K-BAR, but I'm pretty certain using it as my dive knife would wreck it. I think the salt would penetrate the leather and the tang would very quickly rust and ruin a great knife. Maybe not, but I like the knife too much to chance it!

As far as pointed versus blunt, traditional dive knife versus a cave-style sawed-off steak knife... that's a decision mainly based on how you plan to use the knife.

I'm an old diver and very set in my ways, thus I carry two knives (a medium-large, traditional pointed knife on my calf, and a very short stilleto spearfishing knife on my belt).

Besides, steak knives are for dinner, and aren't shears used by hair stylists??

Just kidding!!! :D

Good luck!

I hate to tell ya this bucko but a good knife will cut through cable. Of course it did wear the serrated teeth down which I had to re-cut and profile but it did cut through the steel cable. Sorry but your gurus are wrong or perhaps you just misunderstand them. Keep the 19 cents useless steak knife, it has no purpose, why bother. If you are going to carry a knife get a real one that has functional--FUNCTIONAL utility.

To the OP, you can find the Tekna knife on ebay regularly, usually 20 to 50 dollars. Look for one that has the plastic locking sheath and metal clip. Shop carefully, no hurry, and you will be rewarded with a dandy of a little knife that WILL cut through cable, leader, mono and can be used to frighten metro-sexual divers with 19 cents butter knives in DIR configuration.

N

Now before this gets out of hand (or is it already too late for that?)...

First let me say that I really don't want to get into an argument with you, Nemrod, because I have read a lot of your posts, and I have a lot of respect for you. I don't like it when you refer to "my gurus" because that implies that I just swallow up any hogwash without thinking, and I'll bet that most people who know me would not characterize me that way.

Second, even though I brought up the steak knife, I didn't really want to hijack the thread away from the main subject, which I believe was the Ka-Bar; I was just offering what I thought was going to be a minor aside.

Third, despite what you say, I'm pretty confident in the functional utility of the steak knife. But I thought it would be obvious that it is pretty limited. Fortunately I've not yet gotten entangled, nor even had a serious encounter with a fishing net or any other scary underwater hazards that would call for a major cutting tool. But the little steak knife has had no problem with fishing line or small (like 1/4") cord the few times I've tested it on things I've run across underwater.

Fourth, even though it obviously reads like a challenge, I didn't mean to imply any doubt that you can cut through a cable. I'd just like to see it because I'll bet it's pretty impressive. Every time I try something like that it's, shall we say, less than impressive.

Fifth, back to the topic of the Ka-Bar. I think it would be OK to use one IF you don't mind possibly losing it, and IF you have a sheath that will work, and IF you don't mind rust, and IF you wouldn't be surprised if, after a few years, the handle breaks off because, even though the tang goes all the way to the pommel, it's pretty small.

Sixth, "...metro-sexual...DIR...": "Are you TALKING to me?"

Seventh, if one of the reasons the OP wants to use his Ka-Bar is that he doesn't want to buy another knife, then the "20 to 50 dollar" Ebay Tekna (which I bet is a pretty darn good knife, by the way) MAY be more than he wants to spend. Which may or may not be irrelevant, because it may be impossible to get a decent dive knife for less. Most dive shops have a bunch of old used dive knifes for pretty cheap.

And besides, I DID say that I was shopping for a bigger knife! Sheesh!

Metrosexual is a neologism of the 2000s generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, or whose lifestyles display attributes stereotypically attributed to gay men.

The term is closely related to dandy. Debate surrounds the term's use as a theoretical signifier of gender deconstruction and its associations with consumerism.

I had to look it up. I know a couple of guys. They are married with children, but associated with their mother a lot as kids. I think of them as very well kempt. And wish I had the same attention to self detail.

Also very knowledgeable about collars, cuffs, clothing in general. Like they own a men's clothier. Good source of information for dressing well. These are just a couple of my buddies. Ones a manager for several water treatment plants in Southern California and the other is a buyer or purchaser for the City of San Jose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom