Kansas Dive Shop Owner arrested for theft from customers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe a semantic argument has occurred on this thread.

Morally, Mark is a thief.

Legally, Mark apparently committed fraud.

I applaud Mark for offering to make-good his transgressions against his customers (or marks [victims]).

He must face a twofold process for correcting his misdeeds:

1. In order to atone for his moral transgressions, he must first make amends to his marks, and then his maker.
  2. In order to pay back his debt to society, he must be adjudicated a criminal, and serve time in jail or some other form of restitution that the court finds appropriate and legal.

We all seem to be writing the same thing, just on different planes of thought.

Mark

I believe a semantic argument has occurred on this thread.

Morally, Mark is a thief.

Legally, Mark apparently committed fraud.

I applaud Mark for offering to make-good his transgressions against his customers (or marks [victims]).

He must face a twofold process for correcting his misdeeds:

1. In order to atone for his moral transgressions, he must first make amends to his marks, and then his maker.
  2. In order to pay back his debt to society, he must be adjudicated a criminal, and serve time in jail or some other form of restitution that the court finds appropriate and legal.

We all seem to be writing the same thing, just on different planes of thought.

Mark

My point is that lots of people have “applaud Mark for OFFERING to make-good his transgressions” but has YET to make good on the ones from 2008 when he did the SAME thing with his Wichita scuba shop. He still owes thousands and was able to open a new shop in Salina to do it all again.

Those that sued him tried to garnish but paid the lawyers more than they got. He continues on...

Note to self: Anytime anyone offers me a discount for not using credit card to pay, decline. Credit card payments are safe.

Note to self: Anytime anyone offers me a discount for not using credit card to pay, decline. Credit card payments are safe.

Really so depending on the card the merchant pays 3-5 percent of the charge plus a small transaction fee. This adds up quick for a small business which most of the local dive ups are. So they offer to take 3-5 percent off the purchase price they avoid the fees I get my product for less. Win win

Really so depending on the card the merchant pays 3-5 percent of the charge plus a small transaction fee. This adds up quick for a small business which most of the local dive ups are. So they offer to take 3-5 percent off the purchase price they avoid the fees I get my product for less. Win win

Another reason for discounts for cash is tax evasion.

If you want to risk it, your choice. I get 2% rebate on my card and the safety, so for prepayments - hell yeah.

I always get a recipe.
I'm sure that the losers in this battle got those as well.

As someone who used to prosecute. Whatever money he has already returned is all they will see. The card transactions were not fraudulent so the cards will not reimburse the clients. The court may order full restitution but as I'm sure this guy has no income it won't happen, we used to see it all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom