Kansas diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at a possible relocation to Lawerence, KS. Need to know how much I'll be able to dive if I go through with this...any local diving? How about within 2-4 hours drive? Lakes, quarrys, caves, rivers all potentials.

Thanks!

Beaver Lake AR should be around 4-4.5 hrs. south.
Beaver Lake waters are deep, clean, and clear bringing scuba divers from not only Arkansas, but also Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Beaver Lake is optimal for scuba diving because the water is deep (300 feet in areas) and visibility is great making for interesting sites. There are sunken boats and old cars, but in some areas there are even sunken statues, placed by residents.
Beaver Lake Scuba Diving | Lost Bridge Marina

a few Lawrence options mentioned in a 6-year old thread here:
Scuba Diving in Kansas

it doesn't sound too promising...:(

I'm in OK and don't know anything specifically about Kansas but a guy that responded to my introductory post here said he was originally from there and used to dive Lake Kanopolis, which looks to be about 3 hours from Lawrence. You might try pinging him for more details.

If you push your limit to 5 hours that opens up the Bonne Terre Mine near St Louis and Lake Tenkiller here in OK (my local spot).

Yep, that was me talking about diving at Kanopolis Lake when I was younger. There is also Lake Tuttle near Manhattan, a little closer to you. They are all man-made reservoirs and pretty much brown water diving, but I enjoyed them in my early diving days...

Kanopolis and Tuttle are both mud pits. We do dive training at Lake Wilson, which is about three hours West of Lawrence. We usually have 3-6 feet of visibility, but in late May to early June we get 10-15 feet. Not very deep, but it's diveable.

If you ever want to go out there let me know. The dive shop I work with is close by and has tanks, etc. I'm also always in the market for dive buddies to travel to one of the other places mentioned by the previous posters. I'm around the Lawrence area as well.

Living in the area as well most of the dive shops seen to head down to Beaver lake for their dives. The other lake that seems to have a good day of diving at it is, as mentioned before, is Table Rock. Being new to the area I would also like to learn more about the lakes, quarries, preferably not mud puddles in the area and try to lock down spots to dive in each of them. I haven't found many detailed underwater maps of where things are in the lakes but hopefully will stumble across one eventually.

Hi, all. I guess I am a bit late to the thread.

For a rather comprehensive list, that includes a lot of GPS coordinates as well as site descriptions for many Midwest Dive Sites I highly recommend http://midwestmuckdiving.com/. The site includes Table Rock Lake and Beaver Lake.

I am also looking for dive buddies to visit local scuba attractions.

The Venetian Pool says, "Don't do it, Rick!"

I lived on Segovia Street in Coral Gables and couldn't handle moving to Colorado.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom