Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone ever change there katana 2 from single bladder to dual bladder? Cave adventurers told me that Hollis said you can’t. But it just seems as easy as buying the hose and bladder. The hole is already there. And yes, I should have bought the dual bladder to begin with but I didn’t. Didn’t know I needed it for tec 45 and 50.

Where do you vent the extra dump? You will need 2 more hole in the wing cover.

also do you not have a dry suit for Tec 45 and 50? If you have a dry suit, you don’t need the dual bladder.

Where do you vent the extra dump? You will need 2 more hole in the wing cover.

also do you not have a dry suit for Tec 45 and 50? If you have a dry suit, you don’t need the dual bladder.

Good point on the dry suit. I don’t have one yet but that may be an option instead of having to buy a dual bladder SM BC. I’m hesitant on a dry suit as I don’t ever do any cold weather diving (only dive in Florida/gulf coast and Hawaii) but it may become a necessity as I go further into the tec realm.

Deep and long dives will make you want to have a dry suit for sure. You adjust the undergarments based on temperature.

Anyone ever change there katana 2 from single bladder to dual bladder? Cave adventurers told me that Hollis said you can’t. But it just seems as easy as buying the hose and bladder. The hole is already there. And yes, I should have bought the dual bladder to begin with but I didn’t. Didn’t know I needed it for tec 45 and 50.
You can’t I have a dual and for the same reason extra holes I can’t turn mine into a single for travel per Hollis yes I can cap the extra inflater hose I got an extra cap for that reason but dual bladder is heavier!!

Does anyone feel like they need to use more weight than expected with the Katana 2? I feel like I'm wearing more weight than I expected.

How much gas is in the wing with that config? Which undergarments? Do you dive w just enough gas in the suit to loft the undies or add some to stay warm?

My guess with both in hand is that it’s a pound or so more buoyant than the Stealth Tec. I’m slightly overweighted with either config so take it with a grain of salt.

With my stealth I needed 6 lbs, with my K2 I need 5lbs. Perhaps I just got better at diving it but I can’t see a difference in weight requirements.

How much gas is in the wing with that config? Which undergarments? Do you dive w just enough gas in the suit to loft the undies or add some to stay warm?

My guess with both in hand is that it’s a pound or so more buoyant than the Stealth Tec. I’m slightly overweighted with either config so take it with a grain of salt.

Some additional info about my setup. I switched from double Faber 108s (white paint) and am diving the same tanks sidemount. I'm wearing a trilam drysuit with a 200g undergarment in fresh water. I have 12lbs of weight and when I jump in prior to attaching tanks, I'm positively buoyant. This is with all the air bled from drysuit and wing. On the last dive I breathed the tanks down to a bit under 2k psi and while I could hold a 15-20ft stop, I did feel relatively light and wonder if I'd be able to do so with 500 psi or if I needed to give a tank to a buddy, etc. I'm 5'10 180lbs so not that big of a guy.

Being used to doubles, I did realize last night that bands + manifold is around 5-6lbs and a steel backplate is around 6, so perhaps that is around 11-12lbs of weight right there. The Faber 108s are also not the most negatively buoyant tanks, but it still seems like a lot of weight to wear.

Back
Top Bottom