Kauai beginning of October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myshadeofred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi...I will be heading to Kauia the beginning of October. Not my first time there though. I know Koalo Landing is great for a shore dive but I was looking for alternate places for shore dives if possible. I do know that Niihau was great when I went a couple of years ago just not sure conditions will be good in October. I'm also looking for a different operation for boat dives. Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed.
Mahalo

For shore diving - it's probably Koloa or something else on the south side by then. I'm pretty sure Tunnels and any other shore sites north shut down the end of September unless you catch a calm day. Check with Fathom Five on that - Jeannette is the expert.

Ni'ihau also for that matter. At one time Bubbles Below announced they would evaluate Ni'ihau weather patterns and make a night before go/no go decision at certain times in the winter.

I read a couple years ago that the fishing lobby had caused diving to be banned at Ahukini Landing....

some of these seem like better snorkels: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Anthony is always offering help on Kauai diving options here on SB - AquamanKauai
He works at Fathom Five but his recommendations are pretty agnostic.

Last edited:
"Explore Kauai Scuba" can do Niihau crossings too with the right people. We are however selective on getting good conditions to cross, but sometimes October has some great crossing opportunities. Also, Mana Crack off the Na Pali Coast can be an awesome closer option, but also if vulnerable to any north swells.

As for Koloa Landing, I can't talk highly enough about that site. You could dive it all week and be amazed on the variety of life there!

"Explore Kauai Scuba" can do Niihau crossings too with the right people. We are however selective on getting good conditions to cross, but sometimes October has some great crossing opportunities. Also, Mana Crack off the Na Pali Coast can be an awesome closer option, but also if vulnerable to any north swells.

As for Koloa Landing, I can't talk highly enough about that site. You could dive it all week and be amazed on the variety of life there!

Thank you so much for that. I will be in the area and would love to do Niihau again, as I am more experienced now. Thanks..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom