Kauai Suggestions for July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We'll be on Kauai for a week in July. It seems Niihau has the best dives but the cost is $350 per person for a 3 tank. That seems crazy. We're experienced divers and basically need a boat ride and someone to point us in the right direction. Any suggestions?

Also looking for other diving that is worthwhile - either boat or shore diving. We're comfortable shore diving on our own as long as we can get good information. Snorkeling options we can do on our own also welcome.

Local boat dives aren't much cheaper based on what you get so considering that the 3-tank includes a long boat ride and lunch - it's not a bad deal to arguably the best of Kauai.

The shops with the most boats are Seasport Divers or Fathom Five - both based in Poipu with their boats in a nearby harbor. So you might look for a rental property nearby. Also the airport is slightly north of there. The signature dive in that area is Sheraton Cavers if you like diving with big turtles in collapsed lava tubes. I also liked Fast Lanes,

For shore dives - Koloa Landing on the south side is a good dive - both shops guide there but you don't really need one - just read some of the online info about the site. One of the better dives is Tunnels Beach on the north side - FF guides there. One advantage to paying them is gear transport - you park in a neighborhood and have to walk in typically. It's only diveable in the summer (so is most of the north side) so you're going at a good time.

I also recommend you connect with Anthony - he's AquamanKauai here on SB. Works out of one of the western shops now afaik - they're likely diving the Napali Coast - IDK much about it, He's a good resource even if you don't get to dive with him - used to work for Fathom Five.

Here's an old reference to shore dives there - Ahukini is now closed and IMO Lydgate Beach could be the snorkel you're looking for - as a dive site it's really shallow. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Another fun snorkel surprisingly is the kid's beach at Poipu - there's a breakwater enclosed pool and only little fish can get in. It was surprisingly fun staying along the rocks either inside or outside. Also you can stand up everywhere ..lol.

I've been once, and it was in July. I second the recommendation to reach out to Anthony. I did all my diving with Fathom Five (Anthony worked there when I went). We did 2 shore locations:

Koloa Landing: Right by the shop, super easy & mellow. Nothing too dramatic, but I did see a Dragon Moray here, which was awesome. Would be easy to do this on your own. Parking is easy!

Tunnels: North shore, apparently you can usually only dive this in summer. I loved these shore dives. Wish I had done more of them. Could do it on your own, but might be good to do a guided dive first. Lots of cool critters, great topography, and insanely gorgeous views as you swim out or surface and look back at the shore. Parking is hard!

I also was unsure about the Ni'ihua trip (both cost and I don't do that well on boats). But I thought - I might never have this chance again - so I did it. The accolades are all justified. It was really stunning. Sharks, big schools of reef fish, rays, and we got to dive with the endangered Hawaii'an Monk Seal for like 2 hours. I got violently sick the whole ride back (2.5 hrs). Probably the sickest I've ever been. 5-6ft. seas in a 6-pack boat. But it was worth it. They ran a very safe trip.

I did a couple boat dives on Turtle Bluffs & Sheraton Caverns. Sheraton in particular was cool, with little swim throughs to investigate, blacktips, and a couple of huge frogfish. But if I had to choose, I would do Tunnels over these boat dives.

Here are some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2Y6afz

And a video from Ni'ihau (btw, the "seal whisperer" in this video is Anthony):
Enjoy your trip. Kauai is so lush and green. Save time for the Kalalau Trail in Napali coast - it's the most amazing 2 mile hike you'll ever do.

Thanks for all the info! I still have sticker shock. I get used to prices in other parts of the world (Philippines, Indonesia, etc) and this time the whole family is going so everything is times 5. The video really helped me understand the dive. It would be cool to see the seals and I saw a shark and what looked like maybe an eagle ray in the video. The bottom is boring...boring boring rock. Not sure I can get past that for the money. I will need to think about this some more.

I've been once, and it was in July. I second the recommendation to reach out to Anthony. I did all my diving with Fathom Five (Anthony worked there when I went). We did 2 shore locations:

Koloa Landing: Right by the shop, super easy & mellow. Nothing too dramatic, but I did see a Dragon Moray here, which was awesome. Would be easy to do this on your own. Parking is easy!

Tunnels: North shore, apparently you can usually only dive this in summer. I loved these shore dives. Wish I had done more of them. Could do it on your own, but might be good to do a guided dive first. Lots of cool critters, great topography, and insanely gorgeous views as you swim out or surface and look back at the shore. Parking is hard!

I also was unsure about the Ni'ihua trip (both cost and I don't do that well on boats). But I thought - I might never have this chance again - so I did it. The accolades are all justified. It was really stunning. Sharks, big schools of reef fish, rays, and we got to dive with the endangered Hawaii'an Monk Seal for like 2 hours. I got violently sick the whole ride back (2.5 hrs). Probably the sickest I've ever been. 5-6ft. seas in a 6-pack boat. But it was worth it. They ran a very safe trip.

I did a couple boat dives on Turtle Bluffs & Sheraton Caverns. Sheraton in particular was cool, with little swim throughs to investigate, blacktips, and a couple of huge frogfish. But if I had to choose, I would do Tunnels over these boat dives.

Here are some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2Y6afz

And a video from Ni'ihau (btw, the "seal whisperer" in this video is Anthony):
Enjoy your trip. Kauai is so lush and green. Save time for the Kalalau Trail in Napali coast - it's the most amazing 2 mile hike you'll ever do.

Super stoked to watch the video again! That was a great day. I have several photos in my house of that seal encounter. Mahalo! Not everyone gets how special Niihau is - and to be fair it's not for everyone. I love when people understand how special it is to dive with the critically endangered monk seals. I hope that life will bring you back and we can share some more ocean memories together! Hope life is great for you AND OF COURSE I hope you are planning some more great dive adventures!
A

Local boat dives aren't much cheaper based on what you get so considering that the 3-tank includes a long boat ride and lunch - it's not a bad deal to arguably the best of Kauai.

The shops with the most boats are Seasport Divers or Fathom Five - both based in Poipu with their boats in a nearby harbor. So you migt look for a rental property nearby. Aksi tge auroirt us hyst skughtjy northof there. Thr signature dive in that area is Sheraton Cavers if you like diving with big turtles in collaped lava tubes. I also liked Fast Lanes,

For shore dives - Koloa Landing on the south side is a good dive - both shops guide there but you don't really need one - just read some of the online info about the site. One of the better dives is Tunnels Beach on the north side - FF guides there. One advantage to paying them is gear transport - you park in a neighborhood and have to walk in typically. It's only diveable in the summer (so is most of the north side) so you're going at a good time.

I also recommend you connect with Anthony - he's AquamKauai here on Scubaboard. Works out of one of the western shops now afaik - they're likely diving the Napali Coast - IDK much about it, He's a good resource even if youi don't get to dive with him - used to work for Fathom Five.

Here's an old reference to shore dives there - Ahukini is now closed and IMO Lydgate Beach could be the snorkel you're looking for - as a dive site it's really shallow. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Another fun snorkel surprisingly is the kid's beach at Poipu - there's a breakwater enclosed pool and only little fish can get in. It was surprisingly fun staying along the rocks either inside or outside. Also you can stand up everywhere ..lol.

As always - MAHALO for all your kind words and information on diving on the island! Hope you are doing fantastic.
A

Hi all, I am also going to be there in June/early July. I'm familiar with Bubbles Below and Fathom Five from my last trip maybe ten years ago. At that time, I don't remember anyone diving Napili, although I might just have missed it. How is Napili Coast diving compared to Niihau? Looking at the schedules for the two shops I mentioned, I might not be able to fit in both (family activities preclude diving every day - it happens.) My down days are Thursdays and Fridays. BB schedules Napili on Thursdays, so I may need to figure out who goes on other days. Anthony, we haven't met, but you seem to be a wealth of knowledge. Where are you based out of? Feel free to PM if you think it's more appropriate. Thanks.

Mike

(btw, Avatar pic is from Koloa Landing)

Napali is a stunning dive, particularly at the end of the dive. It’s really cool when you surface and are just hanging out in the water and looking at the coast line. Underwater was cool, we found an ancient Hawaiian octopus lure! Niihau however was some of the finest diving I have ever done, also some of the worst channel conditions in a “small” boat I have encountered. If you can go Niihau is worth it and I’d say over Napali, both are cool however. We went at the very very tail end of Niihau season, so dive conditions were great but channel conditions sucked.

Sorry for the double post, tried to edit my last but on mobile it doesn’t like it.

If you dive and also want to visit the canyon (and you should), be mindful of the elevation you can get quite high, we followed the 24 hour flying rules (we also visited the canyon prior to diving).

Thanks for the reminder. I will be hiking in the canyon, so I'll be sure to follow the rules. Same with when we fly from Kauai to Maui. No diving the day before, just snorkeling and touristy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom