Kayak Diving is Hard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Wow, what a day yesterday! 2 friends and I paddled out to the Georges Valentine Wreck off the House of Refuge in Stuart; one was on full scuba in a Scupper Pro, one freediving in an OK Caper and I tested out the new hookah rig on my Scupper Pro. For anyone who doesnÃÕ know, the House of RefugeÃÔ shoreline is covered in jagged limestone rocks, making beach entries in a kayak interesting. As we peered over the dune and out into a messy 2-3 chop, we decided to charge it anyway; we could see the wreck from shore! After about 20 minutes of unloading and setting up in the hot sun, we were grateful for cool water. Deciding to launch the full scuba kit first proved interesting in the waist- chest shore break. We did it, but only after nearly being dashed in the rock-shorebreak combo. The next 2 launches were a breeze. All boats did great, at times powering right through some chest high rollers. I was impressed at the seaworthiness of the boats. The wreck itself was great, holding a school of snook, small sheepsheads and assorted tropical, nothing worth shooting.. We had an unimpressive 6-8 vis, maybe 75* and surgey (sp?) on the bottom. My hookah rig worked great, but only after getting the hose untangled from the yak. After an hour on the bottom, the seas seemed to be calming down, but were still the most challenging conditions yet experienced in the yak. Heading back in, we decided to paddle 300 yards south of our launch point towards sandy beach area instead of rocks; good thing we did. Even in the sandy area, we still managed to flip the caper in the breakers, dropping gear all over. The 2 scuppers did better, but were still slammed on the beach as we crashed broadside onshore. The hard part came when we had to drag fully loaded yaks 300 yards over the beach to our launch point. Needless to say we were exhausted afterwards. We recovered all floating gear and sunk weight pockets, leaving with everything we came with.

Yak diving is great once you get into the water, but the set-up and breakdown make it a physical endeavor; im still tired!

Steve

Thats the thing with kyak diving is where you have to put in, the closer to the vehicle the easier, yet I use it for the hard to reach dive sites by boat launch, or drive on Islands that is easy access.

After 20 times you will be forgetting how hard as to what you got to dive cause of it.

HAPPY DIVING

Great write-up! You had a great time and survived some interesting moments!

Here's the thing, paddling is much easier than dragging a kayak any distance. If you can find a less rocky area, launch from there and paddle to the dive site.

I also recommend getting kayak wheels; you can store them in the hatch while you are diving. Some people make their own. I'm not handy so I bought some Wheeleez.

Steve-- I was out at Pepper Park. They said 2-3 but those things were choppy and steep. I tried to ride into the beach.. I did a half endo stern slide then 1/2 twist capsize. I think next time I am going to get off and tow it in by hand if there are surferable tubes at the shore.

I think I prefer the water line , sit scoot, float, paddle method of entry over the wade hop balance paddle method.

Hi Steve
what Hookar unit do you use on your kayak?

md

Its a semi-homemade set up. A scuba tank, a standard first and second stage regulator, and 50' of foodgrade, pressure rated hose. Hose fittings plug into a power inflator from the first stage and screw into the second. It works great for yak diving and makes it 1000x easier to get in and out. Its a secure set up, but I wouldnt take it below 30'- no pressure guage. You can sorda see it in the top right corner of the left hand picture. Brownie makes a similar one compatiable with their hose fittings too

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 190
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom