Kayak Diving - who's doing it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did my first kayak dive last week. Awesome time! I am now browsing craigslist to find a better kayak, and I think I found one. The problem I foresee is linking up with other kayak divers, since there seem to be few of us. (The boat/RIB/kayak section in the community has old threads.) Very much looking forward to doing more, and keen to see others' setups - post em if you got em.

I have a Cobra tandem that I used. Got my anchor, rode, and chain from a marine consignment store for a total of $85! 150' of 3/8" rode and a #7 danver. The chain was $8.50 for 13' and another $8.50 for the 3/8". A steal in my mind. I was able to store my pony bottle in the hull, along with an assortment of other stuff. My fat 8" HP117 wouldn't fit, so one got rigged to my BPW and strapped into the front. The other tank the same just by itself. Was already wearing my wetsuit with my hooded vest, but my wetsuit top just down at the waist. All the rest of my gear went into a large mesh bag that I clipped off to some bungee cord that I added to the kayak.

Certainly, it was all helped by the fact that last week's weather, swell, surf, and conditions was stellar! Not sure that I'd venture out in more than 2' surf, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I'm not a Kayak diver, never really thought about it, but your description of your boat and how you strapped your gear to it sounds interesting. Do you have any pics?

Sounds like a nice set up. Any pics? I’ve been thinking of doing the same as I have a kayak from when I lived on a lake. Now it’s just sitting in my garage

Curious about how you exit you kayak and get back in. I also assume you are doing this in confined waters not Open Water ocean right?

Kayak languishing in the garage, here. Add me to the list of those who wish to see pics.

I didn't really take a photo of it all rigged up, but here we are back on the beach. If you could imagine another tank laid in next to the one seen and already strapped into my BPW, then that's how I went out. My buddy's yak is an Ocean Kayak Prowler.

75231754_10162535103350026_6894363949731414016_o.jpg

Curious about how you exit you kayak and get back in. I also assume you are doing this in confined waters not Open Water ocean right?

No, this is Malaga Cove beach in Palos Verde, CA. We're just south of Redondo Beach here, and we paddled about 2mi. offshore to dive the USS Palawan wreck.

So you did a 2 tank dive from a Kayak? How as it swapping tanks?

It was fine. Keep in mind, we had stellar conditions, and this was my first time. My buddy is quite experienced at it, and he said he wouldn't go out in a kayak with more than 2-3' swell. My buddy took a single tank HP120 to do both dives.

Everything on the yak is actually quite easy. It seems daunting, but it's really not. Just need enough snaps, carabiners, rope, bungee or whatever. I stored the pony below. I was wearing the wetsuit. The rest of my gear was in a mesh laundry bag that I could cinch shut and while anchored just hang it in the water. BPW and just floated while clipped off during our surface interval.

With fins on, it's even easier to get up and into the kayak. It helps that the Cobra has a big capacity and very stable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom