Keep your fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This happened a couple weeks ago but came up in discussion this weekend with a dive buddy. The dive boat's reaction/policy to what happened reminded me to post this and see what you all think about it.

It was a Saturday morning like any other on a South Florida charter boat. Seas were 2-3 and building, we were to do two 70' wrecks. Upon arrival at the 1st site the DM descended as usual to tie in. Back on the surface, she thew her fins on the transom and started up the ladder. The boat took a quick dip to the stern with a wave which swept her off the ladder and under the boat. She was overweighted as many DMs are as to reach the wreck quickly. Now with no fins, initially pinned under the boat and then sinking she panicked but eventually struggled back to the ladder, completely exhausted. She tried to deliver the report on conditions but became too emotional and had to take a moment to get over what had just happened.

We dove the wreck as usual. On the surface, the boat was tied in bow-first as is normal for bumpy conditions. However, when we got to the stern and granny line, it was tied so far away from the ladder that you had no choice but to swim to the ladder and hold onto it while doffing your fins. Most charters I've been on have this line in close enough proximity that you can have your fins on your wrists and pull yourself to the ladder. Because of this a whole boat full of tourists was eventually gathered around the transom/ladder in 3-5 foot seas. The DM and captain were clearly nervous about it and tried to instruct the divers to stay clear.

I mentioned to the DM, captain, and owner of the charter that all of this could have been avoided had
1. The granny line been closer to the ladder.
2. The crew had practiced and instructed to keep one's fins until they were ON the boat.

All three said in schoolmarm tone that you always want to swim to the ladder and take your fins off there, passing them to boat crew. Given the DM's incident and many near misses of the divers, this attitude really surprised me.

My take: On a flat "lake Florida" day, sure, do what you want. In rough seas, stay the hell away from the boat/ladder until you can get feet on it. Don't give up your fins else risk the chance of being pinned on the bottom like the DM nearly was.

This is the type of ladder where you can't ascend with your fins on?

This is the type of ladder where you can't ascend with your fins on?
Yes, I don't know of a boat that has any other type of ladder here. A good point as the tourists were probably unaware of the danger they were putting themselves in.

Makes me doubly glad DRIS' boats on Lake Michigan have the ladder you CAN climb with your fins on!

The ideal thing to do in this situation is perform what is sometimes called the "divemaster's exit," that is, climbing the ladder while your fins are suspended over one forearm by their heel straps. It works with most open-heel fins but not all. You don't have to be a divemaster to do it. If you don't make it up the ladder you can put your fins back on.

Some boats have ladders with a center post that allow a diver to exit the water while wearing fins. I find them awkward (in heavy seas it's hard to get your fin-clad feet on a step and keep them there) but it is one way to solve the problem.

All three said in schoolmarm tone that you always want to swim to the ladder and take your fins off there, passing them to boat crew. Given the DM's incident and many near misses of the divers, this attitude really surprised me.
This was the SOP on every boat I've used so far.

My take: On a flat "lake Florida" day, sure, do what you want. In rough seas, stay the hell away from the boat/ladder until you can get feet on it. Don't give up your fins else risk the chance of being pinned on the bottom like the DM nearly was.
I'm pretty sure of myself that I'll be able to hold on to the ladder when things get rough, and this was tested couple of times. Just in case, I have a large carabiner clip on the ring of my BCD on the right side of the chest to hang the fins on. I use it in shore diving but in a hypothetical case when the boat crew won't help me with the fins I can use it to keep the fins with me.

However, in your description she should not go under the boat because you climb the ladder with your BCD still inflated, and if you fell you do not seriously go deep underwater. So, I'd say, if the seas are rough, keep your BCD inflated, your mask on, and your reg in your mouth till you are firmly on the boat. This should suffice even if you fell from the ladder.

i prefer to put my fins springs around my wrist when climbing the boat ladder.....don't like fin-on ladders.

I don't have a problem with handing up my fins but I do keep my mask on and reg in my mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom