Keep your fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also don't have any issues handing up my fins-in calm seas, and I do keep mask and reg in place, and make sure that I'm nice an floaty with a puff of air in bc, just in case. I suppose this will change the first time I am swept off a ladder by a rogue wave. When it's a little rough, I don't want to give up my fins and I just put them on my wrists, just in case the ocean decides it want's me to get back in for a bit, or the ladder flicks me off.

@Marie13 can you post a pic of the fin on ladder? I've never seen it...I could just google it I suppose..

And I just googled it.
sl.jpg

I've had to try to swim back to the ladder without my fins and with full gear on. Not doing that again.
Just another example of finding what works best for you. I have tried sliding the fin straps over my forearms but this makes me very unstable and more likely to get thrown from the ladder or at the very least lose a fin. Falling off the ladder is always a possibility but I have dove in some pretty sporty seas without a problem.

And these are drift dives so worse comes to worse I'll just float along till the boat comes after me or they throw me a line. If the seas are especially challenging they will sometimes use a tag line (correct term?) but I really don't like these either.

I know of Deco Divers in Miami that has fin on ladders and I think there is one in Ft Lauderdale that does. I prefer the ladders over the other style. It is easier to just walk up and then take them off when your on deck. I have seen too many people fall back in the drink on choppy days.

I know of Deco Divers in Miami that has fin on ladders and I think there is one in Ft Lauderdale that does. I prefer the ladders over the other style. It is easier to just walk up and then take them off when your on deck. I have seen too many people fall back in the drink on choppy days.
Pura Vida's boat Sirena out of WPB has the christmas tree style ladders too.

I want a granny line, a rather long tag line (the bigger the current, the longer the line) and while I'll use a Christmas Tree ladder, my fins won't be on when I go up it. My ankles couldn't deal with that stress. I make sure to tell the crew before I splash of my special needs if they do have one of those ladders.

I want a granny line, a rather long tag line (the bigger the current, the longer the line) and while I'll use a Christmas Tree ladder, my fins won't be on when I go up it. My ankles couldn't deal with that stress. I make sure to tell the crew before I splash of my special needs if they do have one of those ladders.
I was beginning to think I was the only one that had trouble with these ladders. I assumed it was because I had little experience with them.

All three said in schoolmarm tone that you always want to swim to the ladder and take your fins off there, passing them to boat crew.

I learned the same, all except the last part. Was always taught to keep your fins with you, bringing them up on your wrists. I never give my fins to any of the local boats and they don't have a problem with it.

I was beginning to think I was the only one that had trouble with these ladders.
I really like side rails too. They allow me to be far, far more stable as I climb up. I've had two Achilles ankle surgeries and am working on my third (second time for the right ankle). Because of that, I take a good look at how I'm supposed to get back on the boat as I board. If I don't like what I see, I call the trip. If seas are likely to be greater than three feet I also call the trip.

Was always taught to keep your fins with you,
I don't think I was taught that way, but that's the way that I dive and I even have my students practice that on the pool ladder.

I always have my fins on my forearm. I can't say I've experienced a granny line like described here, but it just seems alot simpler to put my fins on my forearm when i'm 30' from the boat on the tagline, and I can just smoothly pull myself to the ladder. After reading this, I guess that's another good reason...

Swimming to the ladder with your fins on works okay in calm water - no need for a granny line then.

This practise is extremely dangerous in rough seas - a granny line is required and you need to be able to climb the ladder as soon as you reach it. I have been on boats with the center post ladder - you can not climb them in rough seas. you need 2 handrails raised above the foot steps in order to prevent you from spinning around the ladder. 1 foot and your 2 hand grip points form a triangle - the bigger the better.

in rough seas it is best to remove fins, loop them on your forearm, drag yourself to the ladder via the granny line, time your grab of the ladder to be at the bottom of its up-down cycle, scamper up the ladder before it can slam back down into the water. A LOB can easily give you 6 to 8 foot rises of the ladder as the rear of the boat crests a wave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom