Keeping the skills up in Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neevo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from holiday and for once I decided to take my own gear. Turns out there were a few things that needed attention and having them in storage meant I couldn't have known prior to the dive.

The main one was my Suunto Cobra broke, having the depth sensor go (which I know is not uncommon). I don't run a manual depth gauge however will be getting one for backup. Luckily the tank gauge continued to work.

This highlighted a couple if things:

1. I love my diving and going on holiday doesn't provide enough diving each year. I'd like to do a bit more in between.
2. Regular diving with my own gear will ensure it's ready to go when the holidays come around.

I'm looking for ideas in Sydney to keep the skills going. I don't actually have my own tank(s) or weights so that could be a barrier. I also only have a 7mm semi dry with a 5mm shorty that also doubles up over the top. So I might freeze in the cooler months.

I've heard of a couple of options:

1. A dive club down on the south coast (St George). Opportunity to connect with fellow divers, access to boats etc which I'm sure are a great idea and probably wouldn't break the bank. I assume these people are all set up though (no tank rental or weights)?
2. A dive shop in Cronulla offers beach dives for tank rentals. I could rent the tank/weights and walk in to the ocean with them.

Anyone with some ideas?

Last edited:
My LDS Dive 2000 in Neutral Bay are good for regular diving. Membership is pretty cheap and then every Saturday there is a FOC DM lead shore dive at various sites around Sydney. Tank hire isn't expensive so no excuses mate to get yourself in the water. Sydney diving is awesome so your definitely missing out.

Just dived today at Freshwater. Viz was awesome at least 20m+ a perfect day for diving.

Mockney exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Better side of the city for me too which is a bonus. How does the membership piece work? How do the dives generally go on the day? eg Do they bring tanks etc down to the water or do you all meet at the shop.

wetb4igetinthewater - thanks for that. Have signed up. Do I assume I would need my own tanks and weights for that type of diving?

Great to hear the diving is great. Need to pull my finger out! What's the water temp at the moment? Is a couple of layers and a thick semi dry going to work?

I'd suggest shop based options to start. I guess it depends where you live. North shore : D2000 or Frog Dive do regular shoredives. Abyss on the south side. Weights can be easily bought 2nd hand on ebay.
St George Scuba Club does plenty of diving, but you'd need to befriend a nearby member or two to borrow tanks.

Most LDS in Sydney run some sort of "club". I dive with Abyss at Ramsgste, just near botany bay. They have free DM led shore dives on Fri, Sat and Sunday, as well as paid boat dives on Sat and Sun. You don't need to be club member to tag along. The club side of things just gets you discounted great hire. Tanks are $14.50 each for members, $18 for non members.

Mockney exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Better side of the city for me too which is a bonus. How does the membership piece work? How do the dives generally go on the day? eg Do they bring tanks etc down to the water or do you all meet at the shop.

wetb4igetinthewater - thanks for that. Have signed up. Do I assume I would need my own tanks and weights for that type of diving?

Great to hear the diving is great. Need to pull my finger out! What's the water temp at the moment? Is a couple of layers and a thick semi dry going to work?

Hi Neevo, its meet at the shop. pick up your gear (if you need to hire) decide on the dive site (conditions dependant) and then off we go. Membership I think is $100 per year. Everyone's pretty easy going so if space in your car is an issue normally someone will help you out with transport.

I dove today in a 5mm wetsuit with a Lavacore undershirt. I was warm as, not even a hint of being cold at the end. But then again I do have a layer or two of fat helping to keep me warm so it depends on how resistant to the cold you are. Some people talk about drysuits in Sydney, personally I have never needed one.

And once you discover you love the local diving, look into buying a tank. There's a few 2nd hand scuba gear Australian sites on Facebook or buy one new. If you plan on diving a full summer season it usually works out cheaper to buy a tank. Year round it's a no brainer. Then you'll find yourself wanting two so you generally have a full one ready to go. :)

You'll meet some amazing fellow divers too! Have fun.

All great info, especially the fact I might not need a dry suit. I will look in to D2000 and Frogdive as easier for me to get to on freeways from out west.

Need a new computer, backup manual SPG/depth gauge, reg service, then I'll be getting stuck in.

Thanks all!

Will see how 12 months goes and then evaluate if my own tanks are an option. Will look to grab weights now given they're cheap and one less thing to have to rent.

Frog Dive are also really good operation. I am diving with them weekend after next. I generally do my boat dives with Frog and Saturday shore dives with D2K.

There is also Dive, Spear and Sport in Mona Vale, they cover a lot of dive sites up around Palm Beach area. Very friendly team and the boat diving is the easiest in my opinion because they have a great mooring at Bayview Marina. Lots of choices mate so like I said no reason not to make them most of some world class diving right on our doorstep......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom