keeping your vehicle dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of beach diving and I gear up on the rear of my van. I didn't want salt water dripping all over the back and bumper. I use a blue tarp in the back of the van and fold it down like an apron over the bumper to protect from salt water when I'm taking the wet gear off.

The cheapest way I know is what one of my buddies does: he lines his trunk with tarp, then over the tarp goes flattened out cardboard boxes. The boxes soak up the drips, any dampness goes on the tarp. Says it works for him, then again, he's a cheap *******. Hahaha!

Me, I have a Honda Element, which of course doesn't mind being wet: I just mop up the drips.

Big plastic Rubbermaid tubs work really well. You can't put your tanks in them, but if you wait a while, they should be dry before you put them in the car anyway. (You can always wipe them down first.) I do a ton of beach diving and I'm really picky about getting saltwater and sand on or in my "scubabus". The tubs hold all the gear neatly and then when you get home, you can use them to rinse and store your gear till next time. Depending on how much gear you have will determine the size of the tubs. I like the 40 gallon deep tubs with rope handles (made by Contico). They are really hard to find here on Maui though so when I see them I usually pick up a few for later. The only drawback is when they finally get a hole in the bottom, then they are almost useless to me. These tubs are pretty inexpensive too and they really save your vehicle. I've made 2100 dives out of my "scubabus" and it's never been wet inside thanks to the tubs!

Aloha!

Shaka Doug

Back
Top Bottom