Kelley's Island, Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I just stumbled upon scubaboard.com and it seems you guys have got some great information regarding diving.

I'm really interested in wreck diving, and other sorts of underwater archeaology and I think i'm heading up to dive the wrecks around Kelleys Island in Lake Erie. Has anyone ever gone up there before? It's nice for me because I am located in Columbus OH and it is kind of close.

Here's what we're looking for
http://www.kelleysisland.ws/kelleys_island/shipwrecks.htm

Also, I've been reading about those "underwater towns" that were flooded due to dams, I'm really interested in diving those sites and it appears that the one in Tennessee is the closest to me. Does anyone know of any diving like that can be found closer to Columbus, in the midwest perhaps. Thanks a lot.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I used to boat and dive on lake Erie before I moved to FLA. Only dove 2 of the wrecks around Kelly's Island--the Prince and the Adventure. The Adventure is in about 6 to 15 ft in the north bay, and there's not much there except the keel, ribs, and the prop that was returned to the sight a few years ago. The Prince is about 1/4 mile due east of the airport, and is much larger, although she burned to the waterline and most of the equipment was salvaged. She's in 15 to 20 feet of water and sits about 8' off the bottom. You can really snorkel both of them.

As far as diving in Lake Erie, there is a rock ridge that runs across the lake from Catawba to Pelee Pt. West of the ridge is about 35' and has a soft muck bottom that stirs up at even a hint of a breeze, a sunny day, or no reason at all. East of the ridge (starting at the east side of Kelly's I.) Is harder bottom, deeper and usually much better vis. and wrecks in much better condition due too difficult salvage and less ice damage.

If you plan on spending a lot of time up there, you may want to join Lake Erie Wreck Divers, or at least buy their book.

Hope this helps. Oh, and stop by the Roundhouse in Put-in-Bay and have a bucket of beer for me!!!

Rich

Back
Top Bottom