Kershaw Sea-Hunter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any experience with the Kershaw Sea-Hunter knives? I'm thinking about picking one up. I own several Kershaw pocket knives and love them dearly. This one looks like a great knife for the price. What are your opinions?

Kristopher

I've never handled one, but it looks okay to me. You need a knife for diving [IMHO] but not anything elaborate.

The important thing about dive knives isn't so much the knife itself, but rather the sheath. Make sure it's really secure, so the blade only comes out when you want it to come out. Rubber straps rather than webbing...

ks-1008.jpg

I actually went ahead and ordered one. First impressions are that it "feels" cheap. I own 3-4 other Kershaws, and this is the first one I've ever had that impression of. Rather disappointing, but I guess that's what you get in a $30 fixed blade. :shakehead:
I'll use it and if I lose it, I probably won't get another one. It's a life lesson. I'll go ahead and drop the $150-175 on a Spyderco Jumpmaster when this one floats away somewhere and be happy to have it.

Kristopher

I actually went ahead and ordered one. First impressions are that it "feels" cheap. I own 3-4 other Kershaws, and this is the first one I've ever had that impression of. Rather disappointing, but I guess that's what you get in a $30 fixed blade. :shakehead:
I'll use it and if I lose it, I probably won't get another one. It's a life lesson. I'll go ahead and drop the $150-175 on a Spyderco Jumpmaster when this one floats away somewhere and be happy to have it.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with your Kershaw, but I wouldn't assume that it's not up to the demands of diving. Look at all the people who make do with a shortened cheapie steak knife. As long as the Sea-Hunter is sharp and sturdy enough to cut through heavy-duty monofilament line or some plastic netting on a couple of occasions, it should be good to go diving with.

I got my Jumpmaster because I like cool knives, not because I couldn't have done well enough with something cheaper. Stay positive! Save your money for a better wetsuit, or drysuit....:wink:

I have the knife you mentioned mounted to my BCD pocket with grommets, ingenuity, and some barnacle screws. It looks like a real professional installation. Even though it feels a little cheap, it functions well, and the kydex sheath is a piece of fine work. The sheath holds the knife as it should, and guides it back into place.
I too love the Ken Onion designed Kershaws with assisted opening… they are genius and in my bnold opinion the best $50-60 or less can buy. They hold a really sweet edge too. I think the diver's knife was either designed to be a cheap knife to fit a market segment, or was purchased from some other supplier and resold as Keshaw. It seems to have different DNA than other Kershaws. Not a bad knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom