Key Largo dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeptic14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm headed to Key Largo/Islamorada to dive for the first time; I've been wanting to for several years and it's finally booked.

It's also my first trip without my family which I'm looking forward to a little too.

What are some good topside activities after diving in the mornings?

A visit to Pennekamp for some kayaking looks interesting.

What about some good restaurants to try?

Thanks

In Key Largo I'd recommend The Fish House (a little pricey) for dinner, and Hobo's for lunch. Also Mrs Mac's for lunch. One of the major draws to Key Largo, for us, are the great places to eat and Diver's Direct! We have spent SO much money at Diver's Direct ... they fueled our addiction very early. Diving, eating and shopping is about all we have done there. Hopefully, someone else will have other ideas. :wink:

There are lots of opinions about the 'original' Key Lime Pie, but I choose to believe Midway Cafe on Islamorada has the recipe :callme: Soooo good! I always take a frozen one home when I'm down there. Their food and coffee was great too. Bob's Bunz had good pastries, but I haven't had their sit down breakfast. Cafe Moka on Tavienier was a nice quiche/croissant & sandwich kind of lunch place.

Now I really need some Key Lime pie...

I echo The Fish House and Mrs. Mac’s. I prefer Mrs. Mac’s Too unless it’s a quick breakfast. If they have lionfish, go for it. At the Fish House, Matacumbe or stuffed with crab stuffing are two of my favorites. Sometimes, I’ll get matacumbe and a *side* of crab stuffing. Both places are unique, which is why I like it.

I really like the key lime squares from the small grocery store on Islamorada. I think it’s the Tom Thumb: to an urban northerner, it’s a tiny grocery store, but it’s bigger than a convenience store. Great for an after-dive treat on the boat where actual key lime pie isn’t gonna make it as well.

For a bar-type place, Hog Heaven is nice, especially if you can sit outside. I used to go in October when the Detroit Tigers were good and we’d be able to catch playoff baseball on the big screen, and usually make it in early enough for the beer specials.

Non eating things to do are harder. My wife and I have biked and hiked around. But there’s not much for activities. And when I go for diving I do four a day, so not much time or energy is left, either...

Who are you diving with and what are you trying to see?

Kayaking in the mangroves at Pennekamp is cool. You can do some free diving there as well and see some lobsters in the swimming area. If you want to hang out on the beach, Sombrero beach isn't too far and is nice. You definitely have to go to the diving museum as well.

I'll have to swing by diver's direct, I'm sure there's something I need.

I checked out The Fish House menu and it looks great!

Who are you diving with and what are you trying to see?

I'm diving with Conch Republic.

For topside activities mostly thinking about leisurely activities, biking around enjoying my temporary freedom from the daily grind sounds good too.

+1 to the History of Diving Museum!!
It was so impressive! Was just there a week ago.
The Pilot House in KL is also a nice meal.

I echo The Fish House and Mrs. Mac’s. I prefer Mrs. Mac’s Too unless it’s a quick breakfast. If they have lionfish, go for it. At the Fish House, Matacumbe or stuffed with crab stuffing are two of my favorites. Sometimes, I’ll get matacumbe and a *side* of crab stuffing. Both places are unique, which is why I like it.

Oh, I gotta second the metacumbe (or however you spell it). The name refers to a way it is prepared - and they say it was the way Hemingway preferred his fish to be prepared. So whatever the fish, you can have it prepared that way. Yum! Anyone get the recipe? :wink:

Echoing the Fish House, Pilothouse, Mrs. Mac's. Also Keys Bite (sit down breakfast). Wahoo's on Islamorada I think was good, and definitely the Hogfish in Key West if you go there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom