Key Largo Reef - Is It In Good Shape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a trip scheduled to Key Largo in two weeks. We have been there several times and LOVE diving the Keys. I mentioned our upcoming trip to a fellow diver and she said something about the reef being bleached out. It's been a few years since we were down there and I'm wondering if anything has happened? I'm looking forward to seeing Goliath groupers that are honestly HUGE (when diving other places people will say "did you see that HUGE grouper?" and I realize they're talking about the one I saw, which wasn't HUGE by Keys standards!) ... and lots of barracuda ... and The Fish House ... and Hobo's ...

Thanks!

I thought it was in good shape, but my experience doesn't span years of diving there.

Go --Dive--Enjoy. We dive the Key Largo area several times a year. The reefs over the last 15-20 years we have been diving have changed, however they are still excellent dive sites. Key Largo's reefs are no different than those all over the world. Some of the reefs show the effect of heavy diver traffic, despite the commercial operators best efforts to make divers aware of any bouancy issues. There are areas not regularly visited by most operators like Conch Wall that are more pristine than other areas. There is some evidence of coral bleaching in specific regions, but if you are careful to observe you will also see the fruits of the various Coral Restoration Projects restoring damaged areas. I would say that all in all the health of the Key Largo reef is well and of course great effort is maintained in protecting it for generations to come. As far as the goliath grouper, one very large one usually hangs out in a companionway in the Spiegel Grove and three pretty good sized ones usually hang off the stern.
Have fun and post how you enjoy the trip!!

Dove Mike's Wreck and the surrounding reef along with the City of Washington wreck and surrounding reef last weekend Both reefs looked in good shape. Last summer Conch Wall looked to be in excellent condition. There are a few coral heads that are bleached but not all that much damage overall in my opinion

Dove Mike's Wreck and the surrounding reef along with the City of Washington wreck and surrounding reef last weekend Both reefs looked in good shape. Last summer Conch Wall looked to be in excellent condition. There are a few coral heads that are bleached but not all that much damage overall in my opinion

Can I ask how you got to the City of Washington and Conch Wall? I've tried to get to CoW my last three trips and something always gets in the way. Usually it's blamed on weather, but it feels more like "too far to go."

Have dove the keys almost every year for 10 years. Still fun. Still see lots of fish life.

I also saw COW. Not every buddy goes there. In my case I was diving for several days with Horizon and made a request for COW. Got closeups of a friendly big goliath and a large nurse shark. Nice dive.
nurseshark.JPG
Goliath.jpg

When I went the captain grumbled about who had requested it. Not that much further. They are just spoiled by very short runs.

Thank you all! What you're saying reflects our experience as well. Maybe the person I was talking to had a bad experience and generalized it to the entire reef system. Looking forward to it. Hope to get some good pics to post here. :)

.........Silty Sam asks......Can I ask how you got to the City of Washington and Conch Wall?.......

The operators at the very north end of KL go to City of Washington: Silent World and Horizon. I also saw Rainbow Reef's boat moored off last Saturday. For Conch Wall, contact Conch Republic Divers: I've dove Conch Wall with them a dozen times

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom