Key West diving? near Duvall street party town? Local advice plz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, Now my husband wants to take a trip back to Key West ...you know where the Hogs breaths bar, and Eat it Raw restaurant and the sunset Duvall parade? More for Tourist! He wants to take my 24yo non diving daughter there for a graduation present. So I would like to know if there are any good dive sites and dive Ops in that area. "I just want to try some ocean diving " We will be staying a the Hilton 2401 N Roosevelt Blvd near the airport.. but the hilton provides shuttles to town and drops you off in front of the Conch Republic Restaruant ... Now, I do remember a dive shop across the street from the EAT it Raw Restaurant? Is this a good op???
I don't plan on renting a car! so I must us the shuttle or the high priced taxi service.
Thanks.

The diving in Key West is not the best Florida has to offer. There is an expression...

Key West means dive very little; drink an awful lot.
Key Largo means drink very little, dive an awful lot.

However, if you want to do a 1/2 day dive I have used Southpoint Divers. They were fine and probably the shop you remember right across from the Conch Republic at the bight.

Better options are to visit Looe Key about 45 minutes up US 1 or splurge and charter a trip to the Marquesas or Dry Tortugas.

I stayed at the Hilton like you are going to and dove with South Point. South Point is actually within walking distance (at least I consider it to be...) of the Hilton if you dont' have a full set of gear with you. I had a good dive, but yeah, Key Largo is much better.

My preference in KW would also be Southpoint, let them know your experience level and they'll take good care of you. Right near the Hyatt on Front St.

Another option just about a half mile from your resort on Roosevelt would be Subtropic. They used to be my favorite but its been a couple of years since I've been out with them.

I would agree that Looe Key is a much healthier reef, but it is off Big Pine Key so its only a realistic option if you get a rental car. If I were you and was going to be there a few days, I'd make it a point to rent a car for one day to do that dive (usually done as a three tank trip). :)

The diving in Key West is not the best Florida has to offer. There is an expression...

Key West means dive very little; drink an awful lot.
Key Largo means drink very little, dive an awful lot.

However, if you want to do a 1/2 day dive I have used Southpoint Divers. They were fine and probably the shop you remember right across from the Conch Republic at the bight.

Better options are to visit Looe Key about 45 minutes up US 1 or splurge and charter a trip to the Marquesas or Dry Tortugas.
Yup - agree 100%

Captains Corner's boat loads at the Conch Republic Seafood Co. docks, I've done a whole bunch of diving with them, and they're usually a good reliable outfit! (and not too expensive) Although someone mentioned a while back that their boat was out of the water, not sure if they're back in or not...Their info is on the link Deepstops provided above...

Have fun!!!

I dove with Captains Corner 2 1/2 weeks ago and recommend them. The first dive was so-so, and I do not remember the name of the reef. The second dive was 9 ??? reef, and it was a nice dive.

I was suppose to dive with Subtropic but I was the only diver to show up so the owner called Captains Corner to get me on a boat. I was most appreciative of his efforts since his boat did not run and will call on them again for this reason.

The diving down at that end just isn't that great, Southpoint is as good a choice as any. If you're hungry try the Cafe at 509 Southard St. (north side of Southard, half a block east of Duval, 296-5515). We enjoyed it so much we ate there most nights.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom