Key West towards Miami Itinerary Recos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namastaras

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a bachelorette party to attend the weekend of Feb 21-23 in Key West and have time on either end to do some solo keys traveling. I have flexibility to fly in/out of Key West or Miami and will rent a car. Anyone have a recommended itinerary? I was thinking maybe diving 1-2 days in key west before the weekend and then making my way north to Miami to fly out over 3-4 days. I'd love to get in like 12-15 dives. Or flying in/out of Miami and driving out and back.

I have my PADI rescue cert, am comfortable with drift dives, I like reefs, wrecks, shore and boat diving. I am okay with moving to multiple destinations along the keys or parking it in one place for 2-3 days. What wetsuit do you recommend for Feb? Should I bring a windbreaker/surface layers? Better sites from shore or boat diving?

Any help to trim my internet research time down would be wonderful- dive shops, sites, places to stay, all recos welcome!

No shore diving. If you get cold, I'd wear a 5 mil and a hooded vest. If you are alone, I'd go with Dive Key West for Key West (they provide a guide on dives), Captain Hooks for Looe Key, I personally would skip Marathon and dive with Conch Republic in Tavenier, and You can't go wrong anywhere in Key Largo. I happen to like the crew at Horizon Divers, but any of the big shops will be fine.

Very little drift diving.

Fly into Key Weird and rent a one way. Leave from Miami. You will hate flying into the Miami airport.

Ditto

If you really want a drift dive, call Conch Republic to see if they can do one on Conch Wall. If you're the first to make a reservation on the day you're diving, they might let you make the dive site choice.

Two years ago, water temps were low 70's in Feb. For some people that's board shorts, for others that is a 5MM.

I'd bring a windbreaker or fleece jacket. You might not need it but better to have it if you hit a time when air temps are in the 60's with no humidity.

Dive shops I like:
KW: Captains Corner
KL: Conch Republic, Quiescence or Rainbow Reef if your looking for a dive guide. It's been a few years, but I had good experiences with Horizon too

Yep, still chartering out of Sea Center in Big Pine Key. Mostly for seasonal locals, folks that lost (Irma) or sold their boats. Some newbies now and then, divers that need or want a little more time and assistance, or experienced divers who want access to sites the headboats don't serve. Small boat. Three divers (two tank dive) max.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom