Keys Dive Operations Post-Irma: Who will be opening, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Ben

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was booked weeks ago to dive the Keys in October/November but had to cancel due to Irma. Lots of media reports of Keys damage and residents now being allowed back. So far, I have not seen any media interviews of dive shop owners or boat operators. It may be too early at this time to know if/when they are coming back, so created this thread for any updates from them. I still want to visit the Keys in October/November and if enough infrastructure (hotels, power, gas stations) has been restored and the diving sea conditions are back to normal, then will book flights.

Likely others that were planning a trip want to know as well.:)

This was posted on Rainbow Reef Dive Center's Facebook page:

Rainbow Reef Dive Center added 7 new photos.
13 hrs ·
To all of our friends, families and customers:

First we would like to say that our hearts and thoughts go out to everyone between Marathon and Key West as they basically took a direct hit, so we hope they can recover and rebuild soon.

As for us, we had some serious wind and rain, and even though we were 80 miles from the eye of the storm, we still had winds over 100mph lash us pretty good for 18 hours. We are happy to say that all of the boats made it, all of the dive center buildings made it and we only sustained minor damage to our dock and changing rooms, basically a few bumps and bruises. The pictures make it look a little bad with all the tree limbs down, but overall we couldn't have asked to come out of this much better than we did. Most of us in the upper keys dodged a bullet but we do have at least one crew member who lost their house and a few with damage they will need to deal with.

The keys are closed until Tuesday morning at 7:00am, at which time they will open up to allow residents in that live in Key Largo and Islamorada. We still have no electricity, no water, no fuel, and spotty cell service, so we hope that changes soon. We will get the phones up and running and the email answered as soon as we can, and with any luck we can have the dive center put back together by the end of the week and get trips out this weekend.

So, we have some work to do, but we will be ready to take you out diving again as soon as we possibly can. We hope you will join us.

Ocean Divers had a similar report without a date when they hoped to be up and running. Need to fully assess damage.

Does anyone know what kind of damage the various dive sites may have incurred from Irma? I imagine deeper sites are probably okay, but I'm wondering about some of the shallower sites like Davis and others.

Does anyone know what kind of damage the various dive sites may have incurred from Irma? I imagine deeper sites are probably okay, but I'm wondering about some of the shallower sites like Davis and others.

I suspect the residents of the keys have more important things to deal with than checking out the dive sites. Even if the reefs are in great shape, without food, water, power, gas, and phone service, I doubt there will be much dive activity in the keys for quite awhile. Hoping for the best to all affected.

I suspect the residents of the keys have more important things to deal with than checking out the dive sites. Even if the reefs are in great shape, without food, water, power, gas, and phone service, I doubt there will be much dive activity in the keys for quite awhile. Hoping for the best to all affected.

I disagree. I suspect getting the dive activity back up and running quickly is a priority.

Once basic needs are addressed, the priority becomes getting the income rolling back into the community. Since a large portion of income for Key Largo is based on Dive Tourism, getting the hotels and dive operations back up and running is a very high priority on the list of important things to get done.

Rebuilding always takes time and people like to have income with which to rebuild. Insurance and grants never cover the full costs of rebuilding.

One operation hopes to have trips running by this weekend.

I hope you are right, and I am wrong, but having been through Hurricane Hugo in Myrtle Beach, SC, I know first hand that it takes a longer time than expected, or optimistic projections, to get things back up and running after such a devastating hurricane. My heart bleeds for the communities along the keys and other parts of Florida.

I hope you are right, and I am wrong, but having been through Hurricane Hugo in Myrtle Beach, SC, I know first hand that it takes a longer time than expected, or optimistic projections, to get things back up and running after such a devastating hurricane. My heart bleeds for the communities along the keys and other parts of Florida.

You have first hand experience and I have nothing but opinions...but I do hope I am correct.

Hoping the best for all those affected.

We were booked for this weekend and canceled last week. While the Keys are going to need our business more than ever, they are going to need some time to deal with this. We will go there next year for sure.

Getting boats running with crews is one thing. Then there are places for the divers to stay, places to eat, etc.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom