Keywording

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:
Wondering how you guys and gals keyword your UW photos?

Location, species...

Thanks.

I do. I do my post production in Adobe Lightroom and I add Key Words then. After I am done editing, I typically upload them to a "Smugmug" page and I will add / delete / modify / fine tune my keywords there so that people can find them easily.

As an example, if you go to Smugmug and search for TCI, some of the first images that will show up are mine including an Over/Under shot I did on the Turks & Caicos Explorer.

Thanks. I am wondering what keywords do you use. I'll look at your site.

Thanks. I am wondering what keywords do you use. I'll look at your site.
I wish I could say I used specific things every time, but to be honest, I am not clever enough to be that consistent.

LOL; Well I disagree with your degree of cleverness. You are Keywording it which means you ARE clever.

Thank you Bill. A bit pricey if you ask me.

true it is pricey but we have more than 10 x that much money in guidebooks we use to figure out what the damn critter is so we can keyword it. all depends on how much time you have.
bill

On some cameras you can change the first three letters of the file name. A Nikon DSLR, for example, starts with DSC, but you can change it to be any three letters you want. I choose letters that tell me the dive destination like PNG for Papua New Guinea, CAY for Cayman Islands. It is easy and always with the file. This is not available, however, on many cameras.

For keyboarding Aperture is fantastic, but unfortunately Apple has discontinue this app. I will probably be moving on to On1 as I will be able to move my thousands of images hopefully with their keywords. Yes, it does help if you have had a few classes in marine biology, or at least hang out with the folks who know their critters. You could stick with group names like crustaceans for anything with a crab-like shell and jointed legs. Use mollusk for all of those slimy things with or without a shell and so forth. Or just call everything an invertebrate that is not a mammal, bird, turtle or a fish. It is not easy and is very time consuming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom