Kidney Donor issues with diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I searched the forum and found a couple responses from a years ago, that after the normal healing period, there should be no reason a kidney donor can not continue to dive.

Is this still considered valid?

I just offered my kidney to my brother and was hoping I could continue in the sport.

TIA

Hi cgvmer,

Per ScubaDoc at Kidney Problems and Diving

"Kidney Donor Diving? Given complete recovery from any surgery required for the donation, there would be no reason for the donor not to dive."

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you very much

I donated a kidney to my brother in 1989 and have been diving since 1999 without incident.

One caveat I would ad though. I notice that I go to the bathroom more often since the surgery. I assume it is because I have one kidney that has to do the work that two used to do.

I mention this so that you are aware of the potential for dehydration while diving. After a while you'll get a feel for how often you have to go and can time things accordingly.

Thanks for the info. How long was your recovery back to work? I have a desk job so I'm not expecting too bad

I did it over X mas break after my first semester in med school. It took about a week to get back to normal and I did not miss any school the following semester. It was almost 20 years ago so my memory is a little hazy but I don't remember being out long.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom