Kidney Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well guess I now belong to this forum...Hello, I am Lynn and just at the beginning of June they found a mass on my right kidney.
I did manage to get in a great diving vacation to Key Largo which really was great for my mind.
They went in to do a biopsy on the 11th but couldn't get it without risk so....On the 14th I went in and they removed my kidney...it was cancerous but they were able to get it all as it was contained..Thank goodnesss,,,Just got home from hospital last night but am on road to recovery....

I can't think of anything more than I want to do than to dive with my family!!! While I know it will be a long road has anyone gone through something like this and returned to diving? Would love to hear any input...

Thanks,
Lynn

From what you've written, I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't expect to return to diving once you're recovered from your surgery.

I had 18" of gut removed last August, as well as mets scraped off my peritoneum and bladder. November 1st I was in Curacao diving.

Once you have healed, and assuming they don't have you on any kind of nasty chemotherapy, I can't think of any reason why you could not dive. You will need to give the muscles adequate time to heal; a standard nephrectomy incision divides a number of them.

Once you have healed, and assuming they don't have you on any kind of nasty chemotherapy, I can't think of any reason why you could not dive. You will need to give the muscles adequate time to heal; a standard nephrectomy incision divides a number of them.

No luckily it was contained so no meds....Just what I was taking before....
They did Laproscopic (sp) with hands on so i do have a good incision.....
I don't think I would be diving before maybe Nov or Dec so hopefully I will have my stregth back....

Can you please try and resend... I did not receive any PM's...
thanks,
Lynn

Hi LynnB,

At this stage, kidney removal is not a disability ; ) Hopefully it will never be.

Provided that you have no post-surgery cancer treatment scheduled, e.g., chemo or radiation, and your remaining kidney is getting all renal functions satisfactorily done, you should be good to go once your doctor releases you to full physical activity and you feel physically and mentally ready for the recreation.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Hi LynnB,

At this stage, kidney removal is not a disability ; ) Hopefully it will never be.

Provided that you have no post-surgery cancer treatment scheduled, e.g., chemo or radiation, and your remaining kidney is getting all renal functions satisfactorily done, you should be good to go once your doctor releases you to full physical activity and you feel physically and mentally ready for the recreation.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.[/QUOTE

Well I guess that makes me happyy that it is not a disability just a little setback...
I am moving along one day and step at a time... Drove today for the first time and adding a little more every day...
I know it will take me a while to be back to full normal activities and the biggest is lifting....I think by the time I am able to go diving I will be ready....Might have to have gear handed to me in the water but hey that's life....Hopefully by next summer that will be all over with..

Can;t wait to see how much more I will appreciate diving and everything I do in life... Makes you not take things for granted.....

Happy Diving,
Lynn

With time, you should regain all the strength and mobility you had before your surgery. And it shouldn't take very long, if this was all done laparoscopically.

Lynn, I had a kidney transplant a year and a half ago. I had to give up diving 18 years ago when I found out I had kidney trouble. I had given up hope of ever diving again. I had a rough 1st year but things turned around and I am doing well. My doctors told me I can return to diving. I was invited to the Sea Hunt 2011 event and made my first dives in 18 years at Silver Springs. It does not get any better than that. I am once again collecting and diving vintage gear. I have my old life back and try to make the best out of every day. Dive as often as you can and enjoy every dive. Each dive means so much more to me now then before. I am taking it slow and getting my skills back. Good Luck to you! Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom