Kind and Patient Dive Shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It turns out my wife is interested in swimming with whale sharks, so we're headed to Mexico in a couple of weeks. It also turns out the flights are quite expensive, unless booked as part of a package with some hotel in the middle of industrial tourism, so we're staying in Cancun; I'd have preferred hanging out doing nothing on Isla Holbox, but that isn't going to work. So, as long as we're close to Cozumel, I figured I might should try to get her to go out there too. The thing is, she's dove maybe once in the past couple of decades. So, she'd need a refresher and an easy dive. I know there are dive operations that cater to experienced divers, with big tanks and nitrox and whatnot. Is there anyone know for patient and helpful divemasters who would be good for a person who is somewhat resistant to the idea of diving at all?

Also, we're renting a car, and will probably be inclined to take it to Coz. Any tips on how to get on the ferry without running afoul of all the people in PDC trying to intercept us with advice and deals?

Why not take a refresher and do a couple of dives local before the trip?

The ferry in PDC is passengers only. There is a separate car ferry.

If she only dove once in a couple of decades she might need more than a refresher. A lot has changed. We see many couples where one isn’t really into diving and sometimes is just plain scared but does it for their partner. If she really isn’t into it why push her? I love diving but accept it is not for everyone. Why not spend the money and time you would spend on course doing something you both like. If she wants to that’s totally different. A little one on one time with the right instructor might make all the difference. I like the idea of doing it at home. Much less pressure.

Was she Certified or has she just done a Discover Scuba (AKA Resort course) dive?

Was she Certified or has she just done a Discover Scuba (AKA Resort course) dive?

OW certified quite a long time ago. Don't know if we could get in a refresher before going, or if I could talk her into diving since she'd rather relax on the beach, but if she does agree to dive it would need to not be with someone rushing her and expecting too much.

And I'm not going to pressure her to do it if she doesn't want to, but I think she'd enjoy a reef, and if I can gently encourage her to do it, I'd like to.

OW certified quite a long time ago. Don't know if we could get in a refresher before going, or if I could talk her into diving since she'd rather relax on the beach, but if she does agree to dive it would need to not be with someone rushing her and expecting too much.

And I'm not going to pressure her to do it if she doesn't want to, but I think she'd enjoy a reef, and if I can gently encourage her to do it, I'd like to.

Paul...

In regards to expecting too much...

She's going to have to pass a minimum set standard...and from both being at least OW certified...you know what that's going to entail...

Sounds like what you want to accomplish...and what you may be able to get done are some distance apart...

I think you've left your ''plan the dive and dive the plan''...a little late...

If what you want to do cannot be accomplished safely...then you'd be better off letting it go...especially as far as whale sharks are concerned...as there's no guarantee you're going to see them anyway...

Dive Safe...

Warren

It turns out my wife is interested in swimming with whale sharks, so we're headed to Mexico in a couple of weeks. It also turns out the flights are quite expensive, unless booked as part of a package with some hotel in the middle of industrial tourism, so we're staying in Cancun; I'd have preferred hanging out doing nothing on Isla Holbox, but that isn't going to work. So, as long as we're close to Cozumel, I figured I might should try to get her to go out there too. The thing is, she's dove maybe once in the past couple of decades. So, she'd need a refresher and an easy dive. I know there are dive operations that cater to experienced divers, with big tanks and nitrox and whatnot. Is there anyone know for patient and helpful divemasters who would be good for a person who is somewhat resistant to the idea of diving at all?

Also, we're renting a car, and will probably be inclined to take it to Coz. Any tips on how to get on the ferry without running afoul of all the people in PDC trying to intercept us with advice and deals?
Nobody will be bothering you at the car ferry landing.

If she only dove once in a couple of decades she might need more than a refresher. A lot has changed. We see many couples where one isn’t really into diving and sometimes is just plain scared but does it for their partner. If she really isn’t into it why push her? I love diving but accept it is not for everyone. Why not spend the money and time you would spend on course doing something you both like. If she wants to that’s totally different. A little one on one time with the right instructor might make all the difference. I like the idea of doing it at home. Much less pressure.
Has not dove in 20 years? Take entire course over if she wants to dive.

She dove a few years ago at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and didn't like the water temps much. Anyway, is there good snorkeling on Coz from shore? Good sandy beaches? Maybe I could figure out a way to dive while she relaxes.

Those people will turn up in many places. Just politely say nope and move on. No foul.

I wouldn't bother with the car ferry. There are agencies who will rent cars in Cancun & PDC without drop charges for the other. There are also warnings about getting ripped off renting cars, refueling, and leaving property in rental cars to learn. Mexico can be a nice place to visit, but it ain't Kansas.

I suggest that you wife is a non-diver. Just accept that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom