Kirby Morgan surface system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I showed it to a commercial diving school and they said they had seen the mask go for $600 to $1400 each on Ebay, plus the surface box and 2 hoses. It has probably been wet maybe 10 times in it's life, but would all need servicing. I was thinking of starting at $1800 for the entire set. Is anyone interested in making an offer?

Attachments

• surface sm.jpg
    surface sm.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 93
  • kb mask sm.jpg
    kb mask sm.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 102
As Akimbo has mentioned, this is a mask and not a hat. OSHA 1926.100(b)(1) and ANSI Z89.1-1997 requires head protection on the job site. OSHA's Regulations for 'Diving and Diver-Support Operations,' 'recommends' the use of a Hat. As the oil industry is sensitive when it comes to Government Safety Regulations the 'recommendation' has been translated to mean 'required.' Hopefully, you can find a buyer who can make use of it. Good luck.

Wayne

...geez Loise a couple of senior divers get worked up on the use of the word hat lol :D

glad to see the rest of my post was spot on lol

...in the world of working divers (and these two divers know it)the term hat is in reference to the head gear a commercial diver uses , back when i started tending the divers even navy trained referred to their Jack Browns as a "hat" I guess the term has evolved to mean only "hard hats" lol I shall make a note of this for future reference. As for their use or need today. The heliox18 or known presently as a kmb18 is still widely accepted even these two older models are quite viable. As for their demise in the oil field here in the states ... if not for a few idiots placing the hood to frame incorrectly they would still be in use. "Company policy" is what knocked them out, hell, I believe KM started producing the new hoods and retainers to improve and show their viability to offshore companies. Sadly, a day late and a dollar short as they say. Head protection can be some what improved with the purchase of the hard shell accessory . Com issues with these "hats" is directly related to the integrity of upkeep as in proper comm units, a sound hood and sealing at the face makes them just as good as a "hard hat", ya I said just as good lol I am sure I will get a flogging for THAT statement, LOL just make sure the cat-O-nine is fresh.

Personally I am not a fan of km , i own and maintain a few including a 18 damn thing never feels solid (they tried to improve this with a "comfort" insert *bah*)...NOW, a solid feeling bandmask was/is a General Aquadyne dm6 that f'er "locks" to your head and damn comfy, having the face seal mated (glued) to the frame made it so. Sadly the dm6 comms are something to be desired (read high maintenance). WAY to many breach points WAY to many lol. mine still produces money from time to time. LOL

Scuba one - I believe the amount your asking is makeable (is that a word? spell ck just exploded)... personally, I would sell separately.
...fyi - on fleebay a newer console the last time i checked was at a bid of 600 and a couple of heliox 18a's (yours) sold at around the 1100 mark - one more thing... working divers are notorious for turning our noses at a price and making a low ball offer sound like we are doing you a favor. Never met one including myself who wouldn't jump at the chance to have bragging rights on how little was payed bwaaahahaha

Last edited:
Scuba one, I'd suggest that you determine if the masks are KM18's or 28's. Although they appear alike (most of the parts are the same), you can identify the model through the faceplate; the 18 is fiberglass with a comfort insert and the 28 is plastic without one. If it's an 18, the year is important. Prior to 2004, a 3/4" inlet diameter was used. After this, the inlet was increased to 7/8". Your buyer will want to know. Also the threaded inserts on the faceplate (and for that matter the faceplate itself) cannot be repaired/replaced on the 28, so it's not a good choice for cutting/welding (a welding lens/shield causes the inserts to require replacement every now and then). So if you have a 28, your best bet is to find SAR unit or diver that doesn't require a shield.

...in the world of working divers (and these two divers know it)the term hat is in reference to the head gear a commercial diver uses , back when i started tending the divers even navy trained referred to their Jack Browns as a "hat" I guess the term has evolved to mean only "hard hats"

I did my navy training in 72 and the only hat we had was the Mark V. We didn't get the KM17 until 1975. You must go back a long ways... :)

Head protection can be some what improved with the purchase of the hard shell accessory.

The KM18 has a EN 15333-1:2008 Class C rating for head protection (with or without the hard shell accessory). A Class B rating is required by the oil industry and is mandatory in the EU and many other countries.

good morning dcbc and others

these two hats are 18's... the 28 (did not become avail til the mid to late 90's) only comes in black, and the look of the soft goods definitely puts them pre 90 BUT by the looks of the hoods - they (hood) are newer. The green latex oral nasal (as seen in scuba ones pics) also the config of the side block (big give away) only on a 18 (fiberglass) NOW lets go back further in kmi/dsi/us diver/kirdy and morgan history LOL (did i miss one) LOL ...us divers made the model 9/10 that was plastic (orangeish in color)never had thread inserts your are correct burning ops a big no-no in these old models, alot of guys would paint them a more preferred color. As for the thread inserts if I had even a hint these to two "HATS" were pre model kmb28 (plastic frames) i would have included (re-read my first wall of text )what you stated ...FIBERGLASS frame - "so so" PLASTIC frame - bad LOL another difference in the 28 vs 18 is the shape of the faceplate they don't interchange

we could pick these "masks" apart all day im gonna just state what another poster said...call the factory give the serial number they will have all the necessary info needed, right down to where they were purchased from. One thing Bev's legal dept. does is cross its T's and dots its I's.

NOW as for my age well im gonna get all girliey'd up and say nun of your biz. LOL but I will say this... my reference to THE jack brown need not go that far back... up till the early 90's s alot of divers used them in the swamps along with the desco pot among other freeflow "hats" , not just navy trained.... sh#* I still jump a demand version from time to time on simple jobs. Yes there is such a thing as a simple job LOL Even better, head on over to DESCO's site look up their light duty dive outfit ......notice the make of the compressor also. the color and shape is the give away lol (the compressor may make some on these boards heads explode) LOLLOL

the head protection I will give you... Like i said Im not a fan of KM products. But I am a fan of using the appropriate piece of equipment without over kill for any particular job . call me lucky cause I have a variety to choose from.

well, the lack of the rat a tat tat of the percolator says its time for a cup of mud - damn I was hoping to try out a fresh cat o nine mwuuhahaha.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom