Kiss Counterlung Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bad, I see what you mean about the inline trap he used on the classic now.

Hi
For a T, i am sure Martin can make one.
For keeping the original bags and not.use the Kiss plate, just put the canister on a normal plate and atach.the bag at the lower part with quick links

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a Kiss Classic and I have looked into many units quite heavily. Two major issues people have with the classic is flood tolerance and WOB. I have seen two units with a very specific modification (one in person and one from a user here, about 2 years ago) that used plugs in the counterlung holes on the head, and changed the loop to use "normal" backmount lungs, such as golem gear, subgravity or ATS. This would make the unit a decent bit more flood tolerant since you'd be able to use T pieces and drain the lungs, and would eliminate the need for the bulky case (which restricts access, changes hose routing a bit, and is harder to pack in a suitcase).

For this mod to work though, special plugs are needed. I have contacted nearly everyone I can think of, from Kim and Mike, to N@90, to Martin at tecme, Pmd a few users here with classic kiss experience etc etc etc and the closest I got is being told martin had a pair once, but I was the only person to ask in over 15 years for them. Several places sell cleaning plugs for the head, but they aren't rated for water use (over/underpressure from ascents/descents) and as far as I am aware they won't work for this.

My use for the unit would have me traveling and needing to save space when possible, and some form of flood tolerance would be great as well, so this mod would be very useful to me. I know the plugs exist because I have seen them, and martin said he had them in the past but I can't for the life of me seem to source them. If anyone has info on these plugs please let me know, or another way to accomplish this. Would prefer it to be semi-permanent solution so I could reverse if I wasn't happy with it. My next option would possibly be to CNC some (delrin maybe?) but simply buying some seems easiest.

On another note if you know anyone selling a used classic too let me know. Haven't seen many on the used market lately.

Thanks
I'm not a rebreather guy, but I use 3D printed fittings on my home made wing, and a 3d printed mouthpiece for my double hose.... with a few measurements it shouldn't be hard to do up a plug and print it in ABS. If you are in the US I'd be happy to throw together a design and send it to you to try out.
Respectfully,
James
Nope_Page_Pool_Test.jpg

I'm not a rebreather guy, but I use 3D printed fittings on my home made wing, and a 3d printed mouthpiece for my double hose.... with a few measurements it shouldn't be hard to do up a plug and print it in ABS. If you are in the US I'd be happy to throw together a design and send it to you to try out.
Respectfully,
James
View attachment 593697

James that is an incredibly kind offer. I do not yet have a unit, but when I do I will let you know. I also don't live terribly far from you, so maybe you can even see how it does in the water!

James that is an incredibly kind offer. I do not yet have a unit, but when I do I will let you know. I also don't live terribly far from you, so maybe you can even see how it does in the water!
Sounds like a plan! I'm intrigued by rebreathers, but have neither the money or the time to devote to doing it safely, so it would be really cool to get to see one up close and talk to you about it.
Respectfully,
James

If you don't even own a kiss classic and want a flood tolerant unit why not just buy something else? No instructor can technically teach you a modified unit anyway

A used JJ or a fathom or a copis meg or...

If you don't even own a kiss classic and want a flood tolerant unit why not just buy something else? No instructor can technically teach you a modified unit anyway

A used JJ or a fathom or a copis meg or...

I am very well aware that they will not teach on modded units, I intend to take the course on a stock unit, and I have looked very extensively at other units. I have a specific use case and the unit fits best. I would also consider a copis meg but they are somewhat uncommon. Not super interested on discussing the unit choice itself here, as it's a bit offtopic, but can if you want to in private.

Thought of something else yesterday on the OP. Longer scrubbers are available which would increase the volume capacity of the water trap, if used with a standard length scrubber tube/basket and spacers. It would increase loop volume and dead space potentially but could be offset with a smaller Dromedary.

Still cant empty it though without tapping the can or the base.

I am very well aware that they will not teach on modded units, I intend to take the course on a stock unit, and I have looked very extensively at other units. I have a specific use case and the unit fits best. I would also consider a copis meg but they are somewhat uncommon. Not super interested on discussing the unit choice itself here, as it's a bit offtopic, but can if you want to in private.
I, too, am curious what use case a heavily modified Classic or COPIS fits that a Fathom wouldn’t. Admitted bias: kiss trained.

Thought of something else yesterday on the OP. Longer scrubbers are available which would increase the volume capacity of the water trap, if used with a standard length scrubber tube/basket and spacers. It would increase loop volume and dead space potentially but could be offset with a smaller Dromedary.

Still cant empty it though without tapping the can or the base.

Who makes the longer scrubber that fits the classics?

I also am not sure if drilling the bottom would be more effective, it would put the trap after the scrubber meaning it'll get the sorb wet. I know some other units are set up somewhat like this, but they usually have the counterlung down there too such as the sf2. It also wouldn't really reduce the need for the case.

Back
Top Bottom