Kit feedback wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, but since the Covert's integrated weight pockets are in the front and I only use 8-10 pounds, there's nowhere else to put any weight. And I gotta say, holding my legs up in the water, well, that sounds like work to me. Finally, as I said, it's no big deal to me, but I thought I would mention it in the interests of full disclosure to the OP.

it is a legit issue for tropical divers who are wearing little exposure protection, and probably using AL tanks (rather than steel tanks as many prefer in cold water.) And some folks find techniques to address the (supposedly non-existent issue), such as leaning back, to be quite uncomfortable.

Exactly. Thanks.

Thanks, but since the Covert's integrated weight pockets are in the front and I only use 8-10 pounds, there's nowhere else to put any weight. And I gotta say, holding my legs up in the water, well, that sounds like work to me. Finally, as I said, it's no big deal to me, but I thought I would mention it in the interests of full disclosure to the OP.

The standard answer is move 4 lbs to steel plate and another 4: to camband trim pocket. And then we can argue about not having ditchable weight vs. complete aircell failures and inability to swim with a 10 lb diving brick... there's about a bazillion threads on that too.

The point is 1) figuring out what you like, and 2) buying gear to fit that. If one buys gear first, how does one get to #1?

Yes, but now you're talking about a completely different set up and not the Covert. And, I too (like most responders) made clear, in my first response to the OP, that he should wait. Thanks.

The standard answer is move 4 lbs to steel plate and another 4: to camband trim pocket. And then we can argue about not having ditchable weight vs. complete aircell failures and inability to swim with a 10 lb diving brick... there's about a bazillion threads on that too.

The point is 1) figuring out what you like, and 2) buying gear to fit that. If one buys gear first, how does one get to #1?

The problem with "figuring out what you like first" is that it can take forever to try all the options and then you're 75 and your body is falling apart and every dive you've ever done was with different gear... not to mention the "better" gear is often the "no one will rent this to you" gear, so how does "vacation_diver_01" ever try it out? Run into somebody that wants to loan them gear during their 5 day trip to Cancun once or twice a year? Rentals are great, but 99% of them tend to be cheaper standard BCDs. A diver could try 30 different rental setups over 6 years and still have never put on a BP/W and then they'll come on here and get told they should have tried out more gear before buying by the BP/W club...

OP, I chose to buy my own gear, similar to what I got certified using. I'd recommend you look for used gear as it can save you a ton of money over buying new. Piecing your own set together is also likely to get you higher quality gear for the same amount of money (whether buying used or new). I dive the Cressi Travellight, with Cressi MC9SC rig with a Cressi octo. So far (~35 dives on it in 4 locations) I've been happy with my choices.

There's a middle ground between buying gear before you've taken your first breath of compressed air, and renting until you're 75.

There's a middle ground between buying gear before you've taken your first breath of compressed air, and renting until you're 75.

Sure, there's about a million different levels of middle-ground in there... I wouldn't buy gear before getting certified and deciding it's something I *actually* want to keep doing. I also wouldn't wait until I've tried out every major gear configuration out there. Maybe someday I'll start diving a BP/W and sing it's praises, lamenting all those "horrible" dives I endured with just a jacket BCD. However, for now, I enjoy my jacket BCD and know what my gear is and how it's setup every dive I go on and I got to start doing that right after getting certified.

... not to mention the "better" gear is often the "no one will rent this to you" gear, so how does "vacation_diver_01" ever try it out? Run into somebody that wants to loan them gear during their 5 day trip to Cancun once or twice a year?

OP didn't say anything about Cancun. I asked. For all we know it's strictly about retail therapy and they don't plan on actually diving anywhere.

Being a fairly new diver myself I have to agree with the assessment of waiting until you've rented some different equipment and gotten a good feel for what you like and don't like. But, I also understand that having your own gear will allow you to get familiar with it. I'm in the process of buying my own gear and I'm glad I waited. My LDS is a Scubapro shop, not that there's anything wrong with it, and I learned on their equipment. But, I've also rented other gear and was able to determine that I like one thing on this setup but not that, and it's allowed me to be more selective in what I want based on what works for me.

We don’t have much distribution in Cressi near where I live and I have only run into a couple of operators who rented Cressi gear so I can’t speak much from personal experience.

@Damselfish gave great advice and I agree, especially if the OP is not yet certified. I have seen students not make it through certification. That aside and not trying to be a negative Nellie...

I am a strong supporter of getting one’s own gear because of comfort/fit, familiarity, etc. no need to waste time figuring how much weight and where you need it, getting used to the gear, etc., you know when your gear was last serviced and will know how it performs. However, I do believe there is value in using some rentals, speaking to others about the different setups and gear they have, gathering feedback (likes and dislikes, listening to their reflections, regrets, if they did it again thoughts, and then making an informed and educated decision that way. It will decrease the likelihood of having to buy gear again because the trigger was pulled too early.

I learned renting wetsuits that I get cold easily and the standard 3mm rentals in tropical locations were marginally enough so I bought a thicker wetsuit and also opted for a 3mm to use with a vest or hooded vest. Out of the gate, I would have purchased an Aqua Lung BC with i3, but after speaking with folks who used to dive with one and had experienced with it and using an AL rental myself, I changed my mind. The weight pockets drove me crazy. After diving many rental regs, I loved having a venturi lever and realized what the different sizes and weights of a second stage translated to in my mouth. These are just some quick examples of many. So when I was ready to buy my gear, I had an idea of where I was going to start.

Some things to consider are what type of diving and where, how often. As an example, if you only dive on vacations once in a while, it may be difficult to justify the purchase of a reg considering the maintenance costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom