Kittiwake Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Cayman News Service offers a regular column called "Ask Auntie" that answers questions about visiting/living in the Cayman Islands. They recently received a question about penetrating the Kittiwake after the wreck moved and fell on its' side last fall in a storm last year, see the response below.

The Kittiwake site is a park and there is a park entry fee, see the link below. We have always done it as a guided dive with a licensed Cayman dive op, and I believe that is required for both divers and snorkelers.

Divetech is the op that maintains the site and they did the clean-up after the storm last fall. Most dive ops offer Kittiwake trips on various days during the week. It's a very interesting dive.

Dive 365

Ask Auntie CNS:
Diving back into the Kittiwake - CNSLocalLife

Question: Can anyone advise if the Kittiwake site is open and divers are able to go throughout the ship like previously? Additionally, what is the new depth?

Auntie’s answer:
Yes, the site is open for divers. For those who don’t know, the USS Kittiwake was a US naval vessel sunk off West Bay in 2011 to create an artificial reef and dive attraction.

Divetech, which runs dive trips to the Kittiwake, confirmed that it is still possible to go through the same compartments as before Hurricane Nate moved the ship onto her port side in October last year.

A Divetech representative explained that the maximum depth if you are on the sand outside the wreck is 70 ft but the majority of the dive is at 50 ft, which is where people can swim through the main compartments.

In addition, the wheelhouse, which is at the top of the wreck, is at 20 ft.

Some of our guys dove it the morning after the move and she had slipped into Sand Chute and recorded damage to that incredible site despite some news reports to the contrary. We have a customer with footage of chunks broken out of the reef. My daughter did it as a snorkeler on this passed Sunday and said she couldn't believe how far it had moved and now how little there was to actually see from a snorkeling point of view. She worked as a DM and boat captain on the west side for a couple of years and is (should say was very familiar with the old spot) and has just returned home. The Kittiwake was already moving toward Sand Chute before Nate and attempts were made to hold her in place so it is no surprise this happened. Terrible shame from an environmental standpoint that she was sunk where wave action could really have a big impact but I guess making money from snorkel tours was a deciding factor. Not sure if Auntie has ever actual dove The Kittiwake, or Sandchute, or anywhere or is just a mouthpiece like the Cayman Activity Guide etcetera. Do know that many ops including Divetech, Ambassadors and on and on are/were involved with cleaning up the mess. She was originally sunk in 60ft and is now down at least another 20 ft so I am not sure how accurate that info is. However there are plenty of places to google all sorts of great info that give a little more info and perhaps either more up to date or accurate. Maybe we will have to take Auntie diving!!!

This was sadly so predictable. Sand Chute is an amazing dive and hope to dive it again in a couple weeks. I hope something can be done to anchor, move or remove the wreck from its present location.

Hi, as the caretakers and one of the driving forces in bringing the Kittiwake to the Cayman Islands, we love diving our beautiful lady with visiting guests. She’s always a firm favorite with both first time and returning visitors.

We also want to ensure that everybody is informed properly on the Kittiwake as unfortunately some strong sailor’s tales seem to be told regarding her current status. Actually we were contacted by ‘Ask Auntie' 2 days ago for information to answer this question so Auntie is all up to date!

We’re happy to say the Kittiwake is in no way ‘slipped in Sand Chute’. She is lying virtually in the same spot she has been for the last few years, just angled over on her port side. She is not touching the reef, and is still parallel to it.
When she angled over she did scrape some sections of the reef unfortunately, but that was very minimal. You’d be hard pressed to spot any marks on the reef when diving her.
Due to the angle, her shallowest parts are a little deeper, but only by a few feet. She is still very clearly visible from the surface and a great snorkel trip. The max depth of the dive has also increased a bit as she settled a bit when she angled over, but certainly not by 20 feet, it would be maximum an extra 5 feet or so.

The biggest move by the Kittiwake from her original location was back in 2012, in a storm, which was about 75 feet.

Kitiwake2-2.jpg

The Kittwake after the 2012 move, and before ‘Nate’.

kittiwake-toppled-by-storm_aerial.jpg

Kittiwake in her current position angled over after ‘Nate’. You can also see a ‘shadow’ parallel to the ship towards the top of the picture, this was her pre-2012 position.

You can check our Kittiwake page for a video and additional pictures of her post-Nate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. So what is being done or planned as far as moving it away from sand chute or taking steps that it move no further and cause no more damage?

Dove her a few weeks ago. This is about as close to the reef as she came. Lots of interesting marine life there. It is still a very easy penetration. I'm not a big wreck fan but usually do Kittiwake at least once a year.
IMG_2458.JPG

Just an aside, but I am a big fan of Ask Auntie! Recently I sent a question to her about opportunities to see steel drum (steel pan) band performances in Cayman, and she answered in just a few days with very comprehensive information. Hopefully there will be some steel pan performances during our next visit!

Wants to hear steel pan in Cayman - CNSLocalLife

Last edited:
It was inevitable that the wreck would eventually end up on the reef. Give it another storm or 2 and she will be busting up coral. The original siting was a stupid idea.

Thanks for the post. So what is being done or planned as far as moving it away from sand chute or taking steps that it move no further and cause no more damage?

Hi tkaelin,

the ship is secured with anchorchains to prevent it moving too much. Moving it away would basically be a salvage operation, which on a ship this size would be a massive operation for which we do not have the equipment in the Cayman Islands.

In the end of the day, the force of sea always wins...

But wasn’t she already secured by anchor chains after she was initially sunk? I too think the sea always wins but I feel saddened when I read stuff about the beloved Kittiwake. For many Sandchute is the iconic and beloved dive site The Kittiwake for some of us is just a manmade wreck waiting to wreak real damage. Just seems such a shame she was sunk where she is when there is all that available sandy bottom available. Maybe not as convenient for snorkeling but not as dangerous for the marine environment. I guess now it is too late except perhaps to learn from the experience. It is also sad that the equipment was available to sink her but not to secure her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom