Kittiwake site closed. Ship listed in Tropical Storm Nate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The weather system that became hurricane Nate was organizing as it left the Cayman area. It was just enough to throw some rain our way and send some rough waves. But is also left one of Cayman's favourite wreck dives forever changed by toppling the Kittiwake onto its port side.

Local television news Cayman 27 reports the popular dive site is closed, at least for now. The ship was intentionally sunk in 2011 and sat more or less upright. But now with the passing of Tropical Storm Nate the ship is laying on its port side and is now up against the Sand Chute dive site according to Jason Washington of Ambasssador Divers. This has left the ship about 20 feet deeper.

The weather system that became hurricane Nate was organizing as it left the Cayman area. It was just enough to throw some rain our way and send some rough waves. But is also left one of Cayman's favourite wreck dives forever changed by toppling the Kittiwake onto its port side.

Local television news Cayman 27 reports the popular dive site is closed, at least for now. The ship was intentionally sunk in 2011 and sat more or less upright. But now with the passing of Tropical Storm Nate the ship is laying on its port side and is now up against the Sand Chute dive site according to Jason Washington of Ambasssador Divers. This has left the ship about 20 feet deeper.
That's a shame, that's what happens to artificial reefs. Looks like the West Bay dock took quite a pounding also.

And they closed the dive site? Why?

And they closed the dive site? Why?
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they think the position is unstable. Maybe there was significant damage to the structure and that might be unstable. I recall a previous episode of damage to the structure for which the clean up was very extensive. I think the general philosophy is a very, very safe wreck.

No such thing as a safe wreck...but I digress.

Plenty of wrecks are on their sides...doesn't stop anyone from diving them. And those are real wrecks, not an oversized reefball

What a shame. I just dove with Jason and crew on the Kittiwake last week. I hope it is reopened soon.

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they think the position is unstable. Maybe there was significant damage to the structure and that might be unstable. I recall a previous episode of damage to the structure for which the clean up was very extensive. I think the general philosophy is a very, very safe wreck.
That's a shame - we dove it in 2015 and it was a very nice site and an easy "penetration" dive - that likely won't be the case anymore (the easy penetration) with it laying on its side!

If I recall, there was controversy when the original location was chosen. Several experts warned that the site was too shallow and that storms would move the wreck down the slope where it could damage the existing reef and other dive sites - which sounds like exactly what is now happening.

No such thing as a safe wreck...but I digress.

Plenty of wrecks are on their sides...doesn't stop anyone from diving them. And those are real wrecks, not an oversized reefball
What in your mind makes you call the Kittiwake an oversized reef ball? It was a real US Navy submarine support vessel with diving heritage. They certainly tried to make it safer for less experienced divers to penetrate by cutting holes and welding doors open. It was a fun dive and an easy wreck for recreational divers. You could even swim into and surface inside a decompression chamber in the ship. However, the lower decks are technical penetration dives. Have you ever dived it?

I've not been told that the site has been closed. I did however tell News 27 that I thought an assessment should be done prior to allowing the public inside. The reason for this is simple, the wreck is full of things like air storage bottles. Until we know that these are secure, touring divers through the site in my opinion would be a bad idea. I've been told that a crew from DT will check her out in the morning, if all is well, I'm sure everyone will swarm to the site ASAP. Personally, I'm excited. I've photographed that ship every which way possible, I'm already thinking of all the new angles/ lighting I get to explore:)
I did go out today from the beach on my DPV. I didn't take dive gear so I was only able to see her from the outside. I've added the images to a blog on iDive. Here's the link.
In any case, if she's not already, she'll be made safe soon. Then we will all have a new wreck to explore!!

Jason

Thanks for the update and your positive outlook on the situation Jason. It was a fun wreck to dive for sure and like you said it will just be different now. I hope it gets open soon not only for us divers but for the boat operators that count on this as their bread and butter.

script>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom