Knee Arthroscopic Surgery and time line for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebigdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick question on how long to wait before diving after arthroscopic meniscus and minor cartilage repair surgery on knee. Had surgery today with no complications. Will get formal answer from DDM but wanted to get an idea in my head of how long I'll be out. Any input will be appreciated.
thanks

I had a scope and micro fracture surgery to my right knee. I believe it was a couple of months before I felt strong enough and minimum pain to jump back in the water. I'm sure it's highly dependant on the person and the procedure. Best of luck.

Last time I had a knee clean up surgery, I was riding my bike 6 days after, and snowboarding 2 weeks later. Much of it is how strong you go into the surgery and your threshold for pain. I pushed hard to get back, and felt great. Let your body tell you when it is ready.

It depends a great deal on what they have to do. The more extensive the debridement or repair, the longer the recovery and rehabilitation. Without knowing what the surgeon found and what he did, I have little to offer in the way of advice except to talk to your surgeon.

Hi Big,

Concur with TSandM. Your incisions need to heal, and you need to be able to carry dive equipment around safely. The best advice I've heard was after my own arthroscopic surgery; the nurse told me, "Your knee will tell you when it's had enough." Just make sure that your "enough" includes all the activities associated with diving.

Best regards,
DDM

i also am planning to do some key hole surgery to repair damaged cateladige and also repair my acl...

typically recovery is a year ( that is for running)
i was told that after 2 weeks or so.. i can be off crutches and brace.. then 1/2 or so of physio therapy ... i was hoping about that time... i can do some diving..
possible?

I was scoped a few years ago and recovery time was minimal for me, can't remember exactly, but measured in days, not months.

Ditto on TSandM, on the extent.

I've had my right knee done 3 different times (1 for skiing backwards and falling in someone else's hole while doing a spin turn; 1 while whitewater kayaking, and the flooded river surging over me while getting back in my boat; and one walking off the edge of a pool while taking photos <<<< only true "klutz").

In the first one, it took three months before I could play soccer again. The second one, I did rehab, and was fully released in 10 days. The last one, released in 7 days. The key is doing the rehab, and being serious about it. If they're only removing a little cartilage, and maybe some spurs, they'll probably have you on a stationary bike inside of two days; but as pointed out, you need to let your doctor tell you. If you do PT (highly, highly recommended), they'll be able to discern lateral stability.

You can get in the water without a giant stride, you know. Simply put your gear in the water, go down the ladder, and don your gear in the water. No torque whatsover to your knee. One of the most highly recommended things in PT, to get the strength back, is swimming. It is a zero impact excercise, which works all of the main muscles. That, biking (the PTs like biking, as it's a larger range-of-motion), and the exercises they will give you with the surgical tubing will work wonders in a very short amount of time. Again, your PT will tell you not to overdo it, but with 3 of them on the same knee, I was able to dive within 2 weeks on the last two.

Good luck on your surgery and recovery.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured it would be mostly about strength after the incisions healed. It turned out to be minor miniscus repair and a small amount of cartilage shaving to get some burs off. I didn't require crutches at all and now just working through getting the swelling down. Will see surgeon for follow up on Thursday and will discuss PT and estimated time to return to the water. Again, I really appreciate all the responses.

I had a total knee replacement December 23rd last yr and was diving in the somosomo strait in Fiji 10 weeks later with no problem. I did rehab like crazy but there are some strong currents in there and I had no problem. Note, I was 60 at the time so if you are younger you will heal more quickly and your procedure is far less invasive than a total replacement. The only allowence I made was that I passed up my bc before I climbed up the ladder ( I tipped nicely for the extra help).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom