Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see everyone doing so well! Since I started this thread, thought I would chime in. I'm nearly 2.5 years post the second knee, and I still look at stairs and remember how I hated them, and going down sideways to ease the pain. All good now. I've been on more than half a dozen dive trips and airports are way easier and diving is way better. I'm a fan of Cozumel, and just love being able to walk all over the place again without pain. Lots of ice post surgery, and lots of PT exercises before and after seemed to be the key for me. Glad this has been a good place to share experiences and ideas.

I am not yet 50 Y0 but need a partial or full KR. Doing the pre-surgery PT and getting lots of consults due to my age but bone on bone on bone OA isn't getting any better from PT :-(

Attachments

• IMG_4682.JPG
    IMG_4682.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 50
I am not yet 50 Y0 but need a partial or full KR. Doing the pre-surgery PT and getting lots of consults due to my age but bone on bone on bone OA isn't getting any better from PT :-(

I was 54, but with bone on bone, I think it is the best choice. My Dad has had his for well over 20 years now, and no issues. Life changing to be without the pain.

Yeah, I'm kind of resigned to it at this point, seeing as how I've been pretty much handicapped for 18 months, but insurance is having an issue due to my age.

I keep hearing about how they long they lost so I would prefer quality of life now and assume 20 years on the first knee, plus improved technology by the time I need a second one.

Basscat, I am really grateful you started this thread! Looking at the first replacement, all I found online were horror story blogs and forums. This thread was the first positive one I encountered and gave me hope I woukd have a better life after! No more sideways stairs and my house is not my enemy :)
Thank you all. Got my MRI yesterday for #2 and got tape for my toes for the next trip.
lv2dive, I waited a long time. It was good because technology and surgical techniques really advanced to where they are. Back in the 80s they wanted to remve my kneecap!!! Best wishes for whatever you decide.

Hello Basscat,
Good to see you are doing well.

lv2dive,
Some of the knee replacements have an exchangeable bearing in the joint. The one I have is an Evolution model by Wright Medical Technology (wmt.com). It is "supposed" to be a matter of popping in a new plastic bearing instead of having a whole knee revision should the bearing wear out. Since I am still working on the first bearing can't offer any other advice. Just shop around. Check out the earlier posts in this thread for a bunch of good information.

My decision to have TKR was influenced because of mobility issues, bowing out of the affected knee, pain even while resting and strain on my back and other knee. I had a nerve block catheter put in my leg at the time of surgery, but it only worked for about two days. It interfered with my muscle control for 5 days. PT will try to get you to straighten your leg using your quads. Could only start to do this after 5 days post op. I was in the hospital for 3 days, then a rehab facility for six more days. I had 2 sessions of PT and one session of OT each day in rehab. I felt I recovered more rapidly than my friends who went home and had a PT visit them once per day. Additionally I had outpatient PT 3 times per week for a month.

Going into surgery, which is scary, I just adopted the attitude of being on a roller coaster. As it is cranking you up the first big drop, you have no control, but your path is set, ride it out.

Fishcity,
Closed cell pipe insulation foam can help cushion your toe knuckles. The foam is a little bulky at the surface, but compresses at depth. You can hold it in place by putting a lycra or polyester sock over your foot, then inside inside your boot or fin pocket. These socks also help with getting your foot into a wetsuit leg.

Hello Basscat,
Good to see you are doing well.

lv2dive,
Some of the knee replacements have an exchangeable bearing in the joint. The one I have is an Evolution model by Wright Medical Technology (wmt.com). It is "supposed" to be a matter of popping in a new plastic bearing instead of having a whole knee revision should the bearing wear out. Since I am still working on the first bearing can't offer any other advice. Just shop around. Check out the earlier posts in this thread for a bunch of good information.

My decision to have TKR was influenced because of mobility issues, bowing out of the affected knee, pain even while resting and strain on my back and other knee. I had a nerve block catheter put in my leg at the time of surgery, but it only worked for about two days. It interfered with my muscle control for 5 days. PT will try to get you to straighten your leg using your quads. Could only start to do this after 5 days post op. I was in the hospital for 3 days, then a rehab facility for six more days. I had 2 sessions of PT and one session of OT each day in rehab. I felt I recovered more rapidly than my friends who went home and had a PT visit them once per day. Additionally I had outpatient PT 3 times per week for a month.

Going into surgery, which is scary, I just adopted the attitude of being on a roller coaster. As it is cranking you up the first big drop, you have no control, but your path is set, ride it out.

I think this is what I had done, replacement bearing (grease and oil change), and an updated knee cap. Out time was 6 weeks this time.

I believe your loss of ability to do anything with your leg is actually related to the effect of the op on your quad muscle. My physio and masseur both said its a normal reaction by the muscle to not work for a number of days, in my case up to a week before I could raise my leg at all. At 6 weeks I had normal movement although a bit tight around the knee cap area and back at work by then.

Those x-rays look like mine did prior to surgery :-(. I started to really feel my OA as I hit 49. Tried glucosamine supplements, hyaluronic acid injections and worked with 2 different PTs to see if muscle strengthening could help alleviate pain and inflammation.....none of these really did anything. I could take 4 Advil at a time with pretty much no effect. In the end, if you have bone on bone, it's just up to you to decide when your quality of life has become an issue. I hesitated on TKR for quite a while due to being younger and worries about how long the implants will last. Couldn't stand in one place for more than 10 minutes, couldn't really walk more than a half mile without pain becoming an issue. Still did plenty of diving and kept in shape via lots of lap swimming...but in the end, I was missing out on parts of life....and why not get that function back now when I can really enjoy it?

Today I am at 3 weeks and 1 day following TKR #1. I had my post-surgery check-up, stitch removal and x-rays last week...amazing to compare the x-rays between new knee and yet-to-be-replaced knee = TKR knee beautifully aligned, perfect space between femur and tibia.....vs. my other knee which looks a lot like your x-rays above....bow-legged and bone-on-bone. There have been times during this process where I groan since this it is a long road and this is just the first of 2.....but seeing those x-rays (and how much better I feel this week) actually made me more enthusiastic about following through with both.

I have a sedentary office job...came back to work at least half days starting 2 weeks after surgery. It was definitely a little tough. This week is worlds better...particularly now that I am off of opioids, have started outpatient PT and also started driving again yesterday (freedom!)!

Good luck with all the decision-making :)

Pre-surgery x-rays

Knee%20X%20Ray%20with%20screws.jpg

Last edited:
Those x-rays look like mine did prior to surgery :-(. I started to really feel my OA as I hit 49. Tried glucosamine supplements, hyaluronic acid injections and worked with 2 different PTs to see if muscle strengthening could help alleviate pain and inflammation.....none of these really did anything. I could take 4 Advil at a time with pretty much no effect. In the end, if you have bone on bone, it's just up to you to decide when your quality of life has become an issue. I hesitated on TKR for quite a while due to being younger and worries about how long the implants will last. Couldn't stand in one place for more than 10 minutes, couldn't really walk more than a half mile without pain becoming an issue. Still did plenty of diving and kept in shape via lots of lap swimming...but in the end, I was missing out on parts of life....and why not get that function back now when I can really enjoy it?

Today I am at 3 weeks and 1 day following TKR #1. I had my post-surgery check-up, stitch removal and x-rays last week...amazing to compare the x-rays between new knee and yet-to-be-replaced knee = TKR knee beautifully aligned, perfect space between femur and tibia.....vs. my other knee which looks a lot like your x-rays above....bow-legged and bone-on-bone. There have been times during this process where I groan since this it is a long road and this is just the first of 2.....but seeing those x-rays (and how much better I feel this week) actually made me more enthusiastic about following through with both.

I have a sedentary office job...came back to work at least half days starting 2 weeks after surgery. It was definitely a little tough. This week is worlds better...particularly now that I am off of opioids, have started outpatient PT and also started driving again yesterday (freedom!)!

Good luck with all the decision-making :)

Pre-surgery x-rays

View attachment 397127

Looking at the xrays I think the best decision for you. Glad its all working out for you. Enjoy the diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom