Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson:
The other argument against the Lloyd-Bridges-style knife on the leg was witnessed up here in VT...The guy who will remain nameless because he wouldn't dive with me anymore if identified :)...cut his brand new drysuit putting it back in the sheath...ooops that was your pantleg not your sheath :)

Paul in VT
with a pair of shears and EMT scissors :)

After a finally finding a use for a huge *pink-handled* sabers received as a freebie with a BC (likely because of the colour!- but at least they're easy to see!) I had a friend grind off the needle-sharp point. Because the only use had been of the hammer end, to push the start button on an underwater stopwatch which was too small for three fingered gloves...and it then took forever to maneuver back into the leg sheath without imapaling my leg or my suit,

Back in the sixties, everyone seemed to wear monster knives. Lately, I've met veteran diver operators who haven't bothered wearing a knife in years. Big dive knives are a heavy, awkward entanglement hazard that only make sense if you really nedd them as a prying, hammering or shark-fencing tool. Line cutters and EMT shears seem much simpler and easier and safer to carry.

I carry a small $14 el-cheapo knife on my bc. I also have emt shears in a bc pocket. I like to wear two KBAR knives, one one each leg. That not only looks cool, but it solves the problem of swimming in circles. Only my back, strapped on each side of my tank, I carry two ninja swords. I always have two because, I usually have to fight at least two enemy-ninjas at a time when I am diving. I used to carry just one, but it was hard to fight off two bad guys at a time that way.

I wear a Becker Dive Tool on the inside of my left calf (I am right-handed) for some missions. It is not truly a knife, although it has a chisel edge. It is 12 inches long, 1/4 inch thick and weighs a pound some-odd. It is great short prybar.

I also carry the usual EMT shears, and the line cutter in pockets on the upper body.

spog:
My knife has a rigid sheath with rubber straps that fit round my calf.

I use rental gear, but would like the option of fixing the knife to the rental BCD in a removal way. Any suggestions on how I can securely attach it?
Cable ties work well to secure your sheath to a vest, borrowed or otherwise. Just don't forget to remove it when you get back!!!

I was thinking of upgrading my EMT shears to a samurai sword strapped to my tank and a battery operated chain saw on my waist belt, right between the flare and the grenades.

mattboy:
I was thinking of upgrading my EMT shears to a samurai sword strapped to my tank and a battery operated chain saw on my waist belt, right between the flare and the grenades.

Mattboy,

Depending upon whether or not you are right, or left-handed, you will need to put the chainsaw to one side or the other, because it will be needed more often than the flare or grenades.

If you are left-handed, you will, at that point be DIL as opposed to DIR. (Doing It Left-handed)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom