Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
The dive knife should only be attached to the leg in "sea Hunt" episodes and older James Bond movies, especially if they are attached to the likes of Ursula Andrews.

You'd get a kick out of our LDS bunch on the weekly dives. BIG knives on the outside of the legs.

down4fun:
Do you prefer a dive tool that attaches to your BC or your leg? and why? while we are at what size?
thanks

Medium knife on leg small knife on consule and shears at hip. Never used any of them.

"and these lose some of the machoness"

Holy smokes, I have not laughed that hard in a while.......look bro, while at home put it on different parts of you body and see what you can or can not reach (and see, try to look at your waist strap). This issue is full of opinions but the only one that matters is yours. Its funny that many people love mounting on the waist strap as opposed to the leg....ever try to re-sheath a waist mounted knife underwater? I have and it sucks. (are you tall, fat, short? all of our builds differ and mounting areas will differ also) It sucks hard, but if it works for someone...thats great, but it may not work for you...try all combos then you will know what is best for you

"One point we should all keep in mind is the Buddy, redundancy thing."
Even if you have a buddy, dive as if you are alone...

I use a small BC knife, mouted on the right side of my BC, and a set of shears also mounted to the right side. I figured in the event of entaglement, I'm probably more likely to be able to reach my torso than my leg. As far as the knife goes, it's small (about a 4" blade) and has a blunt tip for digging, which is all it's ever been used for. I personally never saw the need for an expensive knife as ultimately they all end up getting lost on the bottom of the ocean.

J75:
I personally never saw the need for an expensive knife as ultimately they all end up getting lost on the bottom of the ocean.

I never got myself a good one until I figured out how to stow it properly. That was about 200 dives ago and I haven't lost it since.

(BTW that's one of the things I must thank the DIR guys for.)

5" pointed blue reef. Hard plastic sheath. I mounted the sheath to the right part of a ranger bcd where there are 3 grommets medial to the pouch. I looped bungee through the grommets. With this setup the knife rests just right and up of center and is easy to reach with either hand. I like the quick release of this knife. It is not the titanium version but SHARP. I coat it with gun oil after every dive and sand off rust as needed.

-V

My blunt tip Aeris Silverjack sits right on top of my front mounted tank. I don't know of any better location. It's ready to deploy instantly

I just changed up knives a bit ,. went from a leg mount UK probably 5 inch blade to a smalled probably 2.5 inch blade mounted on my BC . Well so far it just feels better , i feel more free in the water . Only thing i dont like is , i used to use my old knife as a tank banger.

this thread is almost a year old. :)

Randy43068:
this thread is almost a year old. :)

which is older than the intellectual age of its participants

:wink:

joke, joke... i've been posting to this thread since the beginning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom