knife or scissors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use scissors most of the time. When I cave dive or wreck dive I add on more cutting tools.

Hammer or screwdriver?

:cool2:

Paper or rock?

The hinge pin on the EMT shears eventually rusts and breaks. You can get EMT shears on eBay, a dozen for $12. Don't pay $7 to $10 for one pair, they rust just as quickly as the $1 models.

Paper or rock?

The hinge pin on the EMT shears eventually rusts and breaks. You can get EMT shears on eBay, a dozen for $12. Don't pay $7 to $10 for one pair, they rust just as quickly as the $1 models.

I got a box of 200 from a drug company that had to stop giving freebies away last year. Overheard someone saying "Great, what am I gonna do with the cases and cases of trauma shears we're stuck with?"

:shocked2:

Um, I'll take a case!

Figure I'm set for life.

:eyebrow:

Paper or rock?

I grind off the rivet pin hinge with a dremel and put in stainless steel screw and locking nut or maybe a split washer if you so desire. Works a lot longer, you can take it apart, grind off rust and put it back together. You could try some stainless steel kitchen scissors, some that come apart at the hinge but I don't think they cut as well and I would be concerned if they came apart just when you needed them.

Definitely carry both. The first time I had to use my scissors, we had to cut an unresponsive diver out of his wetsuit. A dive knife is worthless for cutting neoprene.

knife, z-knife and shears. placed so that something should be reachable by at least one hand.

it would really suck to get one hand wrapped up somehow & be unable to reach your only cutting tool with the other.

knife, z-knife and shears. placed so that something should be reachable by at least one hand.

it would really suck to get one hand wrapped up somehow & be unable to reach your only cutting tool with the other.

So very, very true. And don't assume you can reach them. Check it during your drills.

I second this. Got twenty or so on eBay for about a buck apiece and throw em away once I use them for something that might the dull the blade or (more likely) they get too rusty.

I never used my shears for anything I couldn't easily use a knife for, UNTIL my rescue class. The "victim" tied himself to rusted barrel with rope for an "entangled and unresponsive diver at depth" scenario and was tied so close that I think a knife would have had a much greater chance of nicking either him or his BC as I cut him loose. (On a side note, I think the "victim" was looking forward to several minutes of laughing at us as we attempted to untie the ridiculous series of knots holding him to the barrel, and was both disappointed and pleased that I had the presence of mind to think of my shears, which took maybe 10 seconds to get him free.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom