knife or scissors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so I have a short ~3" blade knife that I have mounted to the left side waist belt handle pointing down to reduce snags. My question is where would the best place to mount the shears? I currently have them mounted with the loop in the sheath near the handle around my right shoulder strap and the tip zip tied to a grommet in the upper part of the right waist belt, so it kind of sits on the upper part of my pockets. I'm not sold on this location. The thought behind it is I can access either devise one handed with either hand. Thoughts on where others have their shears mounted? I'm diving a Zeagle Escape BCD.

cant determine which to get

Depends on what you're going to use them for.

If you're going to cut through a medium rare Tbone, scissors aint gonna do it and you'll look very foolish especially if you're in a restaurant at the time of the attempted slicing.

If it's to make a school project, then a knife is 'overkill'.

For diving, shears tend to be more practical for most purposes.

Ignore module test post

Please disregard if you can see this but you can't because Pete's playing with the panel, not realizing that all he's doing is bending over even further than he usually is which allows for even deeper penetration.

Then again he probably likes that.

Ignore module is confirmed

- Fake "server busy" message check
- Delete all pms in in and out box check
- Ignore module so only the poster can see his posts check
- disable sending and receiving of pms check
- alternate user IDs and proxies in place check

Prepare for lift off

LOL It's sort of nice having my own private forum

Sort of like an old Star Trek episode I forget the name

This final post (with this user ID) is dedicated to the late Gene Roddenbury and to my friend Pete aka Bubbles

The possibility of dropping your knife or shears has been mentioned several times.

I have store EMT shears inside my right pocket with a lanyard just big enough to fit over my wrist. My wrist goes in before I unclip.

Ditto for the folding lockback knife in my left pocket. Both knife and shears are clipped to a small loop of bungee cord inside the pocket. If necessary, all of my gear can be pulled out of the pocket and still remain attached to the BC.

Don't forget that you not only have to remove your knife, but also restow it in case you need it again. I find a folding knife is much easier to re-stow than a knife in a sheath.

Make sure that with eyes closed and using only one hand, that you can reach and deploy your cutting device. My buddies thought it kind of funny when I closed my eyes and removed my shears with one hand before cutting some monofilament. I figured I might as well practice. :D

Some people listen more than they talk . . .

Remember what old Abe said; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool...." More members should follow that wise advice.:eyebrow:

As for me; shears in R drysuit pocket, "hogarthian" knife on left side of waist strap and small z-knife on Predator wrist straps.

The thought of getting tangled up underwater gives me the willies....

Knife on inside of left leg; EMT shears on waist belt; Trilobite line cutter at right shoulder. All of these are easy to reach with either hand...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom