Knife or shear what do you use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I am curious to know what everone is using. Guess i will start, i am using a shear because i am wearing viking dry suit i didnt want to take any chances carring a knife.

any drysuit divers using a knife?

thx all

TMD

I dive dry, and use a Gerber river shorty blunt tip
http://www.uws.com/UWS_GERBER_RiverRunner.html

it's not really for diving, I've had it because I kayak alot and that's my river knife, but I think it makes a great dive knife too. There are no moving locks or parts on the sheath, it stays in from 3 friction tabs (does that make sense???), has a serated edge, blunt or drop point... The sheath is one of those Clips that goes onto (not-so)Quick-clips on PFD's and backbacks, never comes off my harness webbing... go to a sporting goods store and check it out

PS. I also have a 7" titanium serated drop point knife to wear when I have to flaunt the testosterone in a dive knife show off... (yea, you all know you're guilty of these...)

I carry both, in a sheath on my BC. The knife is long handled with a short blade of about two inches. I think it is a Zeagle accessory but I don't have a Zeagle BC.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5677&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Uncle Pug, as usual, has asked a great penetrating question about our dive practices. He is one of the few DIR divers that I really enjoy exchanging information with. Not sure he likes my humor yet, but it will grow on him in time. I do hope he keeps up with his pointed queries... In this thread, he only asked us WHERE we keep our knives, but most of us discussed what we used and why as well. Check out his other topics for some really good reading.

I dive dry, I use a deep sea 5 inch blunt point knife that is secured to my chest. That way it is accessible by either hand. I have dove this configuration the last 6 years.

I have a 4 inch blade blunt tip knife. It was made to be secured around your upper leg, but the starps are too short to fit on my leg. I just put it in a BC pocket.

Carried a knife all the time until I started river diving. All the monofiliment caused me to switch to shears. No more knive.

Hi Trymixdiver

Put me down for a dive machete strapped to my right calf. I don't have to worry about putting a hole in my dry sut. I've never used shears, but I think it would be hard to signal your buddy by banging a pair of shears on your tank.:boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom