Knife or shear what do you use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by trymixdiver
any drysuit divers using a knife?

Hi Try,
I used to carry a big old honkin blunt tip knife on the inside of my left calf for years.... and the only time I used it was when scallop diving... (Viking drysuit BTW)

I carried EMT shears as well dangling from the BC strap....

Now days I carry the shears clipped off with a double ended bolt snap in my left thigh pocket. My only knife is a blunt tip kitchen paring knife in a little waist strap scabbard made from old belting. I keep the blunt tip very dull and the convex curved blade very sharp.

Thanks for the kind words Petey... you a funny guy :)

I call 'em as I see 'em. I always enjoy the threads you start. As for me being a funny man... well looks aren't everything (in fact, with me they are next to nothing).

Hi trymixdiver,
I "carry" a blunt tipped knife on the inside of my left calf, and a pair of shears on the right shoulder strap of my BC.
This gives, IMHO, a variety of placement and accessability options-just in case I get snagged.

MikeD

One additional note about knife/shear placement...
We carry them to help us if we should get entangled...
But we should make sure that they are not the source of entaglement....
In fact the elimination of snag hazards is what has led me to my current configuration.... and the only time I have been entangled since was when I left my shears hanging out of the pocket after retrieving my spare mask.... big mistake.... it actually reached out and grabbed a hold of the guideline .... :wink:

I would suggest that you look your rigs over and eliminate as many potential line entrapment points as you can find....

I would also suggest that a knife on the leg...even inside...is one of the main reasons to carry shears...:D

Hi trymix,
I carry a 4 1/2 inch blade US divers blunt tip with serrated blade on one side and non-serrated on the other on the inside of my right calf, however the only time I have ever used it was during post dive cookouts to cut up my steak. I also carry a pair of shears in my BC pocket and have used them many times because where I dive mostly there are a lot of abandoned trot-lines and the shears seem to cut line much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom