Knives: How to Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Let me admit my ignorance. I am not sure how to wear a dive knife. I am a recreational diver, doing a trip each year to the Carribean. For several years I rented all my equip., and never had a knife. Now that I am buying my own equip., I have a knife but am not sure of the best way to wear it. So my questions are: do you wear a knife? If so, where do you wear it? What do you use to strap it on? I'm sure there are a few approaches, so I'm hoping for a range of ideas. Any hints appreciated.

Hi SeaCoaster,

I do wear a knife when diving. I have a small to medium sized knife that I wear around the lower part of my right leg (right-handed). It is attached with 2 bands of industrial strength velco at the top and bottom of the sheath, so it's adjustable.

I have heard of people wearing them on their arm or on their BC also. I guess it just depends on what you are most comfortable with.

Cheers,

I have a small knice that I wear on the cumberbun of my BC, left side. I also have a set of shears and a small 1" knife blade, in a cordura case that attaches to my right shoulder strap.

I've never liked a knife on my leg. Seems no matter where I put it, it provided a good spot for entanglement. Especially if you dive in lakes where you come across fishing line, like I do.

Thnks for the info. I had thought of mounting a small knife on my BC, but couldn't find a place that was accessable.

Don't waste time w/ a knife--leave it on shore and go with a pair of medical shears. Keep them in the pocket of your BC on a dummy cord.

I have a mid sized knife that I attached to the left shoulder strap on the BC (Dive Rite Transpac II) in an upside down position. I never liked the concept of putting it on my leg. Just a personal preference though.

I have a folding Knife that has a belt/boot clip on it. I attach it on a D ring on my left side. I can reach is with both hands. And I plan on getting another knife to put at the waste level on the right side.

I carry a small blunt tip knife mounted to my cummerbun. I would like to add a pair of medical shears.
My Reasoning:
1. Must be able to reach knife/cutter with either hand.
2. Hard, but not impossible, to cut metal fishing leader with a knife. Shears can do anything including wire.
3. Blunt tip knife is less likely to poke a hole in my $500 BC. What do I need to stab anyway? And it makes a good screwdriver.
4. I can drop one and still live to buy another.

Also, anything that I can drop I have in a bright color that will be easier to find with or without a mask. Dropable items include knife, flashlight, wreck reel, Mask, snorkel (which is usually not worn).

Regards,

I personally prefer to wear my knife on the inside of my lower leg. I find it very easy to reach for and I have never had it hung up on anything being on the inside. I also like to wear it on my left upper arm. It just depends on the mood. I also carry a small knife on the left shoulder strap of my BC. I've seen all different ways, you'll find what's most comfortable for you. I highly recomend any cutting device.

SeaCoaster:

I did most of my diving on the west coast. I wear my knife on the inside of my right calf. It is a big knife but it is a combo, knife/ pry bar. Good luck, GOOD DIVING

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom