Knives: How to Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello Seacoaster, i wear 3 cutting tools when i enter the water. i wear a typical dive knife on the inside of my left calf because i am left handed.i also have a small knife attached to my LP hose just below my shoulder line and finally i have a pair of EMT shears that i have attached to a D-ring on my bc. the emt shears are more useful than a knife most of the time. in the great lakes where i do 90% of my diving the shears are used to cut down-rigger cable. it is normally 150lb. strength steel cable and a knive is about useless. there is what i use anyone else have something different or more useful? sam

Hi,

my 2 pennith. I lost a couple of standard knives diving in relatively rough conditions. I know dive with a small Remora BC knife on the right shoulder of my BC.

Doubt I'll loose this one, its small and fits well in its sheath.

I too disagree with the knife on the leg, are your sure you'll be able to reach it when you want it?

Probably depends on what size knife you want to carry vs where you can attach it.

________
divekiwi

Personally I carry an assortment of cutting tools when diving, these include:

A small oxy-acetylene rig with cutting torch attached to my main tank like a double set of pony bottles.
A small set of bolt cutters.
A hacksaw
A set of tin snips, left right and straight cutters.
A scapel
A bowie knife
An 84 tool Swiss Army Knife
Nail clippers, both fingernail and toenail.
Bread slicer
Utility knife
A cross-cut and a rip hand saw
A tree limb saw
Set of Sea Snips
3 dive knives, one on left leg, one on Shoulder of BC strap and a third on the LP inflator hose.
A butter knife and steak knive.
An emergency sealt belt cutter.
The new "Velcro Intanglement Tool" for unruly Velcro.
Barber scissors
Fabric scissors
Headge clippers
and a Buck Knife.

You just never know.

ID

Don,
Your carrying more than you need.
Left cut tin snips will also work for straight cuts.
You should be able to find clippers that will work equally well for fingernails and toenails.

Tavi

SeaCoaster....

I wear mine on the inside lower left leg. I'm right handed so it makes it easy to swing your leg up to grab your knife. Some people buy BC knives and attach it to either their torso strap or to the console hose. One thing with BC knives is that if your not use to your gear and the placement of the sheath then you take a chance of accidently poking a hole in your hose or your BC. Hope this helps.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
:peace:

I can 't believe you forgot a fillet knife. Just yesterday I was in a school of yellow bass and it would've come in handy. :)

Seacoaster,
now that I'm LOL anymore...
I carry a medium size knife on the inside of my right leg, I looked at the BC knifes, like th eremora that are very popular, but frankly, I think it is hard to get it out of the sheath! I also have a pair of shears mounted on my shoulder (bicycle inner tubes are perfect for this) and a line cutter tool, the one where the blade are buried, according to my tests, I can get to the tools on my torso even if I should get entagled, it is correct however that I may have problems reaching my leg knife - hence the redundancy - and yes, those shears cut about anything.

Terkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom