Knives: How to Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm left handed, and keep a good sized dive knife inside my right leg. On the inside, it doesn't catch on anything and I can reach it with either hand. My criteria for picking a knife was to attach it to my leg, adn see if I could easily sheth and unsheath it. I got one with a fairly meaty blade so I can pry with it, and a serrated edge on top for sawing. I also keep a pair of emt shears mounted on my BC - I think the brand was SeaSnips. Those puppies will actually cut through a penny, and are great for monofilament. This way I have 2 implements in case something drops, located on different parts of my body in case I am ever entangled, there is nothing sharp near my BC, and having both proves to be far more versatile for me. I have cut rope wrapped around a prop, and the shears just didn't do it. When it comes to monofilament (which I found kinda scary the first time I got hung up) the shears can't be beat.

ID, a machete will replace most of that stuff and really make people respect you...

Since I am not Richard Widmark (You mean all you guys did not see his movie about frogmen? In black and white!) so I am not comfortable strapping a knife to my leg. I went through a lot of options, though. The highlights...

Started with a BC knife because we do not generally dive in lots of kelp, etc. and did not think I needed a Crocodile Dundee Special.

The first place I put it was hanging upside-down on my a D-ring on my BC--armpit level. That was okay, but I wanted to use the non-business end as a tank banger. So I used "Technical Black" wire ties to put it on my consol HP tubing; it was convinient, visible and I could reach my tank for banging. However, I damn near lost the thing when our BC's were being set up for our second dive of the day. Somehow, someone managed to push the keeper in, releasing the knife.

So, now it resides in a pocket on the end of a retractable line. That keeps it safe, out of the way and usable.

One interesting comment...my first small knife was a McNett BC knife, supposedly made from 301 SS. First trip out it rusted badly--even though I rinsed it when we got ashore after each dive(s). I took it back to the dive shop and they told me all knives corrode and that no refund was in order. I do not go back to that shop and they have "lost" thousands of dollars of business, mine and my friends--over a $25 knife. I do not think that 301 SS should corrode that way and people I know who have a similar size and shape knife called "Remora" do not have the problem.

By the way, I took the sorry McNett home, buffed out the rust with the appropriate wheel and compound, and coated the blade with a clear plastic "paint". It held up a little better, but would come back corroded from most trips--I know, I know, paint is porous and H2O and NaCl are "small" molecules. So, back to the buffing wheel. I then coated the newly shiny--with little pits here and there--knife with silicone oil. That worked, but I had to recoat it regularly and that was a pain. Bottom line: to use the words of my sons, McNett sucks (blush, blush).

Joewr

SEA Coaster:
Been wearing mine inside my lower leg (either leg) for thirteen years now. No problems from it. Easy to locate and return to sheath.
--------------
GetWet

A lot of good sugestions here. I'll need to get one of those shears!

However, I think you forgot to mention one thing. I carry a rather big knife on my inner left leg (right handed). The reason it is big is that I also use it during winter when I'm wearing thick 3-finger gloves. And it is difficult to handle small things with gloves - and even more so if your fingers are alredy getting a bit numb.:cold:

DSAO

I have so far had good luck with lubing the blade up with silicon grease - I have a Blue Tang - I think it is 410SS, not sure though - so far, in between the brease and the immidiate rinse in freshwater when I get out have kept it in good shape.
I mean rinse it is the first thing I do, before I take do anything else and don't forget to get the handle off as well - there could be a nasty surprise waiting in there...

Hej Damedykker,
Har din klub et web sted? Jeg er lidt intereseret i at tage udrustningen med til Danmark når jeg tager over på besøg, det ville nu være ret fedt og dykke i Danske farvand...
Kan man leje tanke og den slags?

Terkel

WetDane,

Ich kann Deutsch verstehen. Boku mo Nihongo ga dekimasu. Puedo hablar Espanol tambien. But the only word in Danish that I know is Ordbog, which I think means dictionary--and I do not have one. Therefore, translate, please.

Yeah, the silicon does work, but titanium works better!

Joewr

Ja, min klub har en hjemmeside: http://www.ammoniterne.subnet.dk. Vi bor i Fiolstræde, Kbh. Du kan ikke leje flasker ;-( ; men du kan låne dig frem :). Vores aktivitetsliste ligger der også; men ellers send mig en mail direkte, og vi ta'r et dyk. Hvis du har en e-mail adresse kan vi diskutere direkte, så joewr ikke får overanstrængt sine dansk kunskaber. Hilsen Pia.

Sorry about that joewr. I'll happily translate for you if you want to know about my club in Copenhagen. Stay wet!

DSAO

Hej Damedyker,

I can get some of it:

WetDane asked, "Does the club have a website?"

You answered, "Yes, the club has a website:http//www.ammoneterme.subnet.dk"

You told him he could always mail you directly.
And you asked him if he had an e-mail address so you could discuss directly without bothering Joewr.

Now, this is all rough, I know, but my German can only get me so far! And I have only been to Denmark three times. No no need to translate--and I will not ask for a tranlation again--enjoy the Board!

Joewr

Sie haben mich wieder einmal beweisen das deucht und dänisch einander sehr ähnlich sind. Wie haben Sie so gut deucht gelernt in Kalifornien? (Oder darf ich, bitte, du sagen?):jester:

Tüsch Pia

Gruss Gott, Dame Dykker!

Ich war chemiker und mein Grosvater ist aus Deutschland gekommen. Dammit Kann ich Deutsch verstehen. Aber heute tage kann Ich nicht so sehr gut schreiben und sprechen.

Es ist spat hier--Ich muss zu Bett.....

Gute Nacht

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom