Knots for easy cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all ,

I've been wondering if someone knows where I can find a guide , preferably a video/ with pictures that shows how to tie various easy cut knots to strap different pieces of gear ?

What i mean by easy cut - the knots I have been using so far are very tight and in the event of entanglement it will be difficult to cut them loose.

Knots I currently use are like shown here

What I am aiming for is roughly like shown here

I wish I could describe it better but I'm afraid this is where my English falls short.

Basically I need a knot that enables me to slide a knife or line cutter between the item (let's say HP hose ) and the swivel so I can cut them should I need to.

Would appreciate any tips / guidance .

Thanks,

- Shachaf .

Why mess around with strings and knots? I use zip ties looped together on my hosed AI dive computer. I put a tight zip tie going around the hose, with a loose looped zip tie secured under the 1st zip tie. The loose loop zip tie can be attached to your swivel and cut with a knife or EMT shears if necessary.

Why mess around with strings and knots? I use zip ties looped together on my hosed AI dive computer. I put a tight zip tie going around the hose, with a loose looped zip tie secured under the 1st zip tie. The loose loop zip tie can be attached to your swivel and cut with a knife or EMT shears if necessary.

I'm not a fan on Zipties , they can break very easily especially when they are getting older

There are probably more of this type of videos on this channel than just these two.

Thank you, this is where I learned how to do the knots I use right now but unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

what kind of line are you using for your knots? that looks very thick, like 550 cord with the internal reinforcing string still in it. Using a foot of line off your typical finger spool is about all you need.

Attachments

• 225F82EB-9D1C-4540-8EA7-A22ADBEB47E4.jpeg
    225F82EB-9D1C-4540-8EA7-A22ADBEB47E4.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 7767B224-0C18-49E4-8866-FBBEDEF167A2.jpeg
    7767B224-0C18-49E4-8866-FBBEDEF167A2.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 148
What are you worried about getting entangled on that you are unable to cut the entanglement hazard itself? May be a silly question, but confused why you would feel the need to cut your own gear attachments when entangled. Even so, just cut through the rope on the bolt snap, to prevent damage to the gear, in the unlikely event you need to free yourself that way.

What are you worried about getting entangled on that you are unable to cut the entanglement hazard itself? May be a silly question, but confused why you would feel the need to cut your own gear attachments when entangled. Even so, just cut through the rope on the bolt snap, to prevent damage to the gear, in the unlikely event you need to free yourself that way.

Have you ever tried to cut steel fishing leader? Or the hull of a boat? Or copper wiring? Or any of the myriad of things that might be entangling you that are "un-cuttable?"

Entanglement hazards are very real, and very deadly. People die getting entangled in kelp, a freaking plant. Having the ability to cut away potential entanglement hazards on your kit is a very important ability to have, whether that's cutting away the hazard itself, or cutting your gear from the hazard.

There's a reason why there's no metal-to-metal contact in technical diving, people have died because they have been unable to cut away from an entanglement.

Hello all ,

I've been wondering if someone knows where I can find a guide , preferably a video/ with pictures that shows how to tie various easy cut knots to strap different pieces of gear ?

Knots I currently use are like shown here

What I am aiming for is roughly like shown here

- Shachaf .

While there are times that whipping parts together is useful (for keeping them stationary relative to each other), people always want to use a lot more cord and knots than are really needed. In Scuba you are generally not worrying about the SWL or WLL of your attachments (and if you are, throw those bolt snaps away, they are not rated and the very idea makes me uncomfortable).

So fewer knots, that second image just made me shudder. (fun fact, knots greatly decrease the load you can put on a line, by up to 50%. Adding more knots doesn't help).

Personally I'd stick with the size of line you are using (its more about what's easy to tie and handle at this scale). If you are worried about strength, use a larger line, don't bother with lots of extra turns of line.

Check out this website:
Rope Knot Hitches | How to tie a rope to an object | Knots for tying rope to objects animated and illustrated

I'd tie a cow hitch to one side (also known as a girth hitch or even just a 'choke'). Then using both ends of the line I'd probably use something like a halyard hitch or a figure eight on the other side (but doubled up, so you are using both ends like they are a single line).
You can make the separation whatever you want to give you space to get in with a blade. Adjust it before you get it wet!
Remember, you are tying a line, not knitting a paracord artwork. Keep it simple, you are securing two things you only need two knots.

netknots has animations of every kind of knot you might need. Although one of my instructors always says that anything more than a clove hitch or a bowline is showing off!

what kind of line are you using for your knots? that looks very thick, like 550 cord with the internal reinforcing string still in it. Using a foot of line off your typical finger spool is about all you need.

Sail cord , its pretty thin and surprisingly strong . Maybe the picture takes it out of proportion but its much thinner then most lines ive seen.

You can never know if you'll get entangled in something.
In my area my biggest concern are ghost nets and discarded fishing gear.
Its never a bad idea to have the option to cut yourself free.

While there are times that whipping parts together is useful (for keeping them stationary relative to each other), people always want to use a lot more cord and knots than are really needed. In Scuba you are generally not worrying about the SWL or WLL of your attachments (and if you are, throw those bolt snaps away, they are not rated and the very idea makes me uncomfortable).

So fewer knots, that second image just made me shudder. (fun fact, knots greatly decrease the load you can put on a line, by up to 50%. Adding more knots doesn't help).

Personally I'd stick with the size of line you are using (its more about what's easy to tie and handle at this scale). If you are worried about strength, use a larger line, don't bother with lots of extra turns of line.

Check out this website:
Rope Knot Hitches | How to tie a rope to an object | Knots for tying rope to objects animated and illustrated

I'd tie a cow hitch to one side (also known as a girth hitch or even just a 'choke'). Then using both ends of the line I'd probably use something like a halyard hitch or a figure eight on the other side (but doubled up, so you are using both ends like they are a single line).
You can make the separation whatever you want to give you space to get in with a blade. Adjust it before you get it wet!
Remember, you are tying a line, not knitting a paracord artwork. Keep it simple, you are securing two things you only need two knots.

netknots has animations of every kind of knot you might need. Although one of my instructors always says that anything more than a clove hitch or a bowline is showing off!

The only reason the 2nd picture has so many knots is because i was somehow trying to make about a 1/2 inch space between the object and the swivel so ill be able to slide my knife easily in between.
You can see in the first picture that its very tight and has no "wiggle" to it so sliding the knife to cut will be harder.
Im happy with the line im using , thin and surprisingly strong .

Appreciate the tips , ill have a shot at a couple of those knots when i get home to see how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom