ko tao woman hit by boat propeller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those reading this post, and are not familiar with Thailand's party islands or how things operate in Thailand in general, here's a one liner summary (so as not to OT the OP): It's very unique (especially when things go wrong) and very much buyer beware.

Since the OP mentions the incident and PADI in the same breath: (and please do NOT rely on my comments, but please do purchase the relevant manuals to verify these things for yourself).

1/ No. Presumably because you're assuming the boat holds course (relative to current - if any affecting the surfaced diver), and at the last moment you might find yourself in a head-on position should the boat change course - assuming boat impact is not imminent.

2/ I could not find this explicitly in the e-learning (OW) manual nor in my AOW book. Although there are several references how dangerous (inc life threatening) propellors may be and how you can maximise your surface visibility to to a boat. Also there are discussions about the dynamics of water.

3/ I searched for this term in e-learning (OW) and received no hit. That is not to say similar concepts weren't discussed.

@Ian Yarwood, if I could ask one more question (and my apologies in advance for being cautious of first-poster's intentions - and thank you for clearly answering the earlier questions clearly). Could you please tell me what is/are you're motivation(s), if any, additional to what you had stated earlier (quoted below) e.g. if it's likely you might be involved in this case? I for one wouldn't mind at all if you said possibly yes to that.

Hi Jay

I hope that people reading your contribution take note of the good manners you displayed.

I am new here and have had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of some really bad manners mixed with unhealthy and unhelpful displays of ego.

In contrast Jay, you have been a breath of fresh air.

In relation to my motivations, I can say that they are quite simple. One of the people who posted, referred to my Twitter account @IanYarwood_Law. If you view that you will see that I am interested in humanitarian causes including landline clearance and tackling slavery.

I subscribe to the notion that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It’s better to destroy a landmine than it is to care for a legless child for the next 60 years.

It is even better to prevent the landmine from ever being planted!

I won’t write essays in response but I feel that it is encumbent upon those who are able, to do a few things to make the world a better, safer place.

Silje’s friends and family have expressed a desire that her death will not be in vain.

If I can help people learn and change their behaviour in the water then that might give some comfort to Silje’s loved ones.

I am not here to squabble with people who want to show me how clever they are or those who wish to understate the dangers in some areas of your sport.

Hi Jay

I hope that people reading your contribution take note of the good manners you displayed.

I am new here and have had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of some really bad manners mixed with unhealthy and unhelpful displays of ego.

In contrast Jay, you have been a breath of fresh air.

In relation to my motivations, I can say that they are quite simple. One of the people who posted, referred to my Twitter account @IanYarwood_Law. If you view that you will see that I am interested in humanitarian causes including landline clearance and tackling slavery.

I subscribe to the notion that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It’s better to destroy a landmine than it is to care for a legless child for the next 60 years.

It is even better to prevent the landmine from ever being planted!

I won’t write essays in response but I feel that it is encumbent upon those who are able, to do a few things to make the world a better, safer place.

Silje’s friends and family have expressed a desire that her death will not be in vain.

If I can help people learn and change their behaviour in the water then that might give some comfort to Silje’s loved ones.

I am not here to squabble with people who want to show me how clever they are or those who wish to understate the dangers in some areas of your sport.

You're most welcome, and all the best with your endeavours.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

thread locked pending clean up.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Upon review we have decided to leave this thread closed for further comments. If someone has new factual information to add then send it to a moderator by reporting this post and we will consider adding it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom