Koh Tao is... Death Island!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
but its safety won't compare to staying home watching TV exercising and eating white fish.

Depends on where 'home' is. I looked it up and murder rate in Thailand is considerably lower than in, for instance, the USA. Funny how those tabloids that call Koh Tao 'death island' don't call New York or Los Angeles 'death cities'. Then again, there is 'Bodymore, Murderland'.

I have to say, the title of the thread made me think of this:

2m2flk.jpg

Depends on where 'home' is. I looked it up and murder rate in Thailand is considerably lower than in, for instance, the USA. Funny how those tabloids that call Koh Tao 'death island' don't call New York or Los Angeles 'death cities'. Then again, there is 'Bodymore, Murderland'.
If the cops don't report murders as murders the murder rate can be really, really low.

Obviously, the issue is not whether crime is greater in that location vs others. It's the lack of concern by officials charged with preventing crime. Stating that women deserve to be raped for wearing a bikini, arresting those that do report rape are dire circumstances indeed. You might go there and not get assaulted or murdered. In fact, chances are that you won't. But if you or someone you love does go there and is a victim of crime, you can bet your ass you won't get support from the government at any level. Worse, the government is likely to blame you - the victim.

That's the real problem. Focusing on the crime rates is a distraction.

This whole death island thing is just nonsense.

Your conclusion 'But if you or someone you love does go there and is a victim of crime, you can bet your ass you won't get support from the government at any level. Worse, the government is likely to blame you - the victim.' is the same, nonsense.

Just came back from Koa Tao. Theres better places to dive, but coming from the NW USA, we loved it. Cheap, fun, and felt perfectly safe there. Walked all over, rode scooters, dove almost all the dive sites. Happy people, unlike the US where we make 10x what they make and everyones always bitc$%ng about wanting something else or more.
I'd go back ...

The article calling it Death Island isn't on the national enquirer, it's on the new york times. It's written by a journalist named Richard C. Paddock. He's been published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, The Independent, National Geographic and some others. This is a mainstream news business, not a tabloid. And if there is such a thing as a journalist, that guy seems to meet my understanding of the title.

That said, I agree that most mainstream news businesses have been exposed to be less than trustworthy. In this day and age being a journalist isn't exactly something a person should tell their mother about. Are you saying that the information presented in the article is false/fake news?

Edit: Co-authored by Muktita Suhartono who has been published in The New York Times,The Independent, O Globo, Sydney Morning Herald, The Boston Globe, Seattle Times, Star Tribune and more. This person seems slightly less published than Richard Paddock, but still a "journalist."

I've been following what is behind this "Death Island" nonsense for years, it's basically a hoax by people with a vendetta against the place or using it as a vehicle for public attention.
Primarily is pushed by three people using the Samui Times website to push conspiracy theories, gain public attention and generate money from web traffic and selling lurid tales to tabloids.
DeathIslandHoax_Part1_01.jpg

DeathIslandHoax_Part1_02.jpg

DeathIslandHoax_Part1_03.jpg

DeathIslandHoax_Part1_04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom