Koh Tao project "Buoyancy World"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its all gone quiet on here now, was looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

I've been working on a lot of different pictures at once from a few dives I did recently and some from this project.

Here are four of some completed projects, but I have a half dozen more to upload when I finish going through this other stuff.

They look kinda scary to me :idk:

Anyway, other than my pictures, nothing doing until Jan. As things are winding down, no one is planning on taking the next step until all the locals are back in the new year.

Thanks for asking!

g

Attachments

• save KT-47_8_9_tonemapped.jpg
    save KT-47_8_9_tonemapped.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 73
  • save KT-54_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
    save KT-54_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 76
  • save KT-73_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
    save KT-73_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 70
  • save KT-124_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
    save KT-124_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 78
  • save KT-143_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
    save KT-143_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 76
I...They look kinda scary to me...

Yes, they do.:dropmouth:

I think the bamboo sticks in concrete won't last too long underwater. They may also fall over when the current runs or when there's swell and surge.

I like the octopus! t will be a pain to get it in one piece on the bottom but once in place it should be a nice and sturdy octy-statue.

So, I just back from Sippidan. While I was there, I stayed on Mabul and, hands down, one of my favorite dives (I did 4 there) was "Artificial Reel"

Now, the project on KT may have its failings, may have its hiccups, may not look nice underwater, may not last (see above), but JESUS... the site in Mabul consisted of two boats and about 8 to 10 structures. Each structure was literally a box made of wood. Some at 3m and only about 2x2x2m, and some at 20m+ and made more like a tower, reaching up close to 10m in height. The boats were both hull only.

Now, what lived there? EVERYTHING Mabul has to offer. Ornate Ghost PF, Frogfish the size of a watch and some the size of a big man's shoe. Giant schools of jacks and barracuda, leaf scorpionfish and some of the biggest stone fish I've seen outside of Lembeh.

If a pile of "crap" like that can make such an amazing site, I can only hope KT's mission 10% of the success.

So, I just back from Sippidan. While I was there, I stayed on Mabul and, hands down, one of my favorite dives (I did 4 there) was "Artificial Reel"

Now, what lived there? EVERYTHING Mabul has to offer. Ornate Ghost PF, Frogfish the size of a watch and some the size of a big man's shoe. Giant schools of jacks and barracuda, leaf scorpionfish and some of the biggest stone fish I've seen outside of Lembeh.

If a pile of "crap" like that can make such an amazing site, I can only hope KT's mission 10% of the success.

I'm sure Koh Tao's artificial reef once deployed and submerged will attract some residents (e.g BIG and nasty giant trigger fish) but I do not think it will be as "crowded" with creatures as Mabul or Lembeh. The Gulf of Thailand/South China Sea just simply hasn't got the diversity as the Indonesian and Malaysian sites.

I think it will attract quite alot of stuff after a while, if i remember correctly the site will be close to twins and if you look out in the sand away from the main dive site there is quite a bit to see, so this will give those things more of a home, and if the sunken island dive club boat around in japanese garden is anything to go by within a month or two all sorts of things will move in as on that small boat only there is now bristle tail filefish, pipefish, catfish, scorpion fish, crocodile flatheads, mantis shrimp, big puffers coming and going etc and that sank in an area off the main divesite that before didnt really have that much life in it, same with the new biorock site, lots of critters and fish (including a massive barracuda) hiding out under and around the structures.........so i think it will do well. Something needs to be done to try and give the overdived sites a bit of a rest and if even some dive schools utilise the new site then i think the work will be worth it.

I'm sure Koh Tao's artificial reef once deployed and submerged will attract some residents (e.g BIG and nasty giant trigger fish) but I do not think it will be as "crowded" with creatures as Mabul or Lembeh. The Gulf of Thailand/South China Sea just simply hasn't got the diversity as the Indonesian and Malaysian sites.

This is true..., but there is much more crawling around KT than people give credit for. In fact, Twins, where the project will be deployed has both sea horses and sea moths along with countless types of pipefish and whip coral shrimp and crab.

I'm not trying to be unrealistic, but the post above give me hope :wink:

this sounds really a good idea. How can one help? If the idea is to address carrying capacity it does seem quite silly to put it at Twins. Why is it not somewhere less dived?

i think the reason for it being close to twins is so the dive operators can utilise both sites from one boat, so boat goes to twins ties up, open waters can go to twins and have a bubble round there and advanced course can go to the buoyancy world site to do buoyancy and nav dives etc.

i think thats the reasoning behind it anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom