Koh Tao vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the decision to go to sea during monsoon season, when it is rough and stormy?
Ok, if we ignore that the term 'monsoon season' is not correct, your statement would be correct if you wrote: Like the decision to go to sea when it is rough and stormy?

ok, I'm not a professional like a couple of the guys on this log are but, I have have fallen in love w/ Thailand I the past 3 years and gone 4 times (I have lots of airline miles) both sides. What everone says is correct, a few points:
- Surin/Similans are the best but not that good of a value if you do day trips out there because even by speed boat it's app. 2 hours each way. And they all go to the basically the same places so from 10-3 it's really busy. After they leave it's even better. Kho Lak is still building and I want to go back there. It's far enough out of Phuket that it doesn't seem as crasy.
- Loved Krabi area and even further south. Not as crazy, beach is on the right side of the road.
IF you can handle the liveaboard do that for those islands. But we couldn't because my husband is 6"3' and we need guarenteed BIG bedroom and A/C. We did a Star Clipper ship and got it all in. ( I was actually surprised! - afer diving and we got rid of the gear they woulld take us to these special snorkel spots in the dingies). It was amazing to see all the creatures that would come out adter the noisy speedboats left. And being able to dive Hin Daeng (4 of us) while the rest of the ship waited for us was incredible. Saw a manta and a large leopard shark on the same dive.

- As for the other side, like they said the water is not the same. And the vis. is not either.

If this is your only trip then either do the S's, even just a 2-3 day liveaboard, then go down to Krabi. Also, I have no problem at all w/ the street food, try it ! But DO to one of the fabulous boutique resorts and at least have an appetiser and drink. I think the price to value and quality is so wonderful in Thailand, like no where else I have been (yet). And have a massage every day: at $15, they 're really good for you, esp.

I'm already working on another girlfriend to go with me again.

Ok, if we ignore that the term 'monsoon season' is not correct, your statement would be correct if you wrote: Like the decision to go to sea when it is rough and stormy?

Ok, just to be pedantic, I'll re-phrase my earlier post....

Like the decision to go to sea during the rough and stormy season? :rofl3:

IF you can handle the liveaboard do that for those islands. But we couldn't because my husband is 6"3' and we need guarenteed BIG bedroom and A/C

Are you saying you could not find a liveaboard with big A/C cabins? I am also 6'3" - can assure you most of the boats have plenty of space. Some of the master cabins like Philkade or Queen Scuba or Black Manta are huge for a liveaboard. Mind you the Star Clipper is another thing altogether, ain't no liveaboard like that.

Andy, are you saying you don't go out during the stormy and rough season?

No...I have the following reasons for abandoning the rock this stormy and rough season...

1. No swedish girls on the beach when it is raining.
2. I moved to Thailand because I like the sun.
3. Bugger all customers on the rock during the stormy and rough season.

Reasons why I hung around last year....

1. Had some good tech liveaboards booked here.
2. Was my first season here and was a good time to establish myself.
3. Swedish girls were walking around in wet t-shirts, which was novel at the time.:eyebrow:

- Loved Krabi area and even further south. Not as crazy, beach is on the right side of the road.

It is on the right hand side if you walk from the Krabi Resort to the Phra Nang Inn Hotel. It's on the left hand side if you walk from Phra Nang Inn Hotel to Krabi Resort...

:D

Back
Top Bottom