Kohala Coast Diving vs Kona Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drkcurrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be lucky enough to visit Hawaii in the middle of January and get wait to get back in the water! I normally dive with Jack's and do the Kona coast but this time I will be staying in Kohala.

I was looking at Kohala Divers, anyone have any experience with them? Should I just plan on driving down to Kona to do my diving? I have had great experience with Jacks so don't mind the extra commute. I will only be able to swing 3-4 days of diving.

Thanks all!

There are two good dive operators on the Kohala coast: Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness. In addition, there is good shore diving, including at Puako and Mahukona.

Kohala Divers runs its boat out of Kawaihae Harbor and Blue Wilderness runs its boat out of the Puako boat ramp (say "hi" to Flipper for me). The Kohala coast has great diving. Lots of structure and fewer visits by divers. Personally, I wouldn't "commute" down to Honokohau Harbor, unless it was for a special charter.

I had a positive experience with Kohala Divers in May, 2017. Uncrowded boat. Well informed guides adept at pointing out the micro critters. Unspoiled sites with beautiful clarity and structure. I liked them enough to buy one of their hats, which I seldom do.

Dove with Jacks several years ago and really liked them but as @fisheater wrote, I wouldn't suggest driving that on your dive days when you can get some very good diving along the Kohala Coast with enough different sites to cover 3-4 days.

My last diving was Nov. 2019 (thanks to Covid) with Blue Wilderness. I researched both Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness and found BW to be slightly cheaper, if that makes any difference. It was pretty nice for my buddy and I as we stayed at a resort about 10-12 minutes from the Puako boat ramp.

The link below goes to the thread with my pricing research - post #5.
Question for Big Island residents or recent visitors.

This link goes to my trip report diving with Blue Wilderness. If you don't read the link, know that BW uses a RIB boat which holds fewer divers than the bigger boat that KD uses. I really liked the RIB and the procedure for entry into the water (but it may not be for everyone.)
Big Island Kohala Coast Trip Report

I have dove with Kohala many times and really like them and the bonus is Kohala Burger upstairs from the dive shop. The dive sites they use are usually less crowded. I really like Blue Wilderness as well but I heard they were closing the shop at the Queens/Kings shopping center but they were possibly running trips out of the market on Puako road.

I get AMAZING feedback from my customers that dove with "Blue Wilderness". I bet Kohala is great also though. Blue Wilderness does the best pre/post dive critter briefing on Big Island from the feedback I've heard first hand.

I hope to get a chance to return to the island one day and compare for myself! Best wishes for you and your business to weather the virus.

I’m very satisfied with Kohala Divers. Why not do some of both Kona and Kohala ? If surf is down you’re in good shape to shore dive too. Honokohau Harbor (dog beach) is also a great dive.

I hope to get a chance to return to the island one day and compare for myself! Best wishes for you and your business to weather the virus.

Mahalo! Happy Holidays to you and your family! -Nick

Burger place is good. Little shave ice joint behind Kohala Divers is GREAT....imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom