Kona Aggressor Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tubbyka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be doing our first liveaboad in July on the Kona Aggressor. I have a few questions I could use some help with.

1. We are coming in 3 days early to do some sightseeing and exploring. Will the elevation changes be an issue if we go to the Volcano National Park, then start diving 2 days later?
2. What are the must see's on the island? We're staying at the King Kam, coming in Wednesday, and getting on the boat Saturday. So we have all of Thursday and Friday to tour the island, then part of Saturday.
3. What things do we need to know about liveaboard diving? I think I've read almost everything on here, but am always up for more hints and info.
4. Any advice for liveaboard diving or Big Island tours?

Thanks for everyone's help!

JB

If you have the money, doing a helicopter tour of the volcano is an amazing experience. You definitely want to spend time on the ground as well at the volcano, it is a "must do" IMO. The Place of Refuge is a beautiful spot to explore, and the black sands beach on the way to the volcano is worth stopping to see.

As far as liveaboard diving, be prepared for your core temperature to drop significantly mid-week. If you're planning to dive a 3mm suit, bring a vest and hood to layer mid-week if you start feeling a bit chilled. 4-5 dives a day in 79 degree water really sucks the heat out of your body, and using a 5mm full suit isn't a bad idea IMO. Actually, the liveaboards I've done in 79-80 degree water with 80+ degree air temperatures, I've always worn a 5mm full suit and had people envious by mid-week as they start to feel the chill.

First of all, if you’ve never been on the Big Island before, don’t expect to see a lush tropical setting when you fly in. The Kona side is the dry side of the island and the airport is in the middle of an old lava flow so all you see is lava and grass. If you go up in elevation or drive south toward volcano, it will be more tropical and lush. With a couple of days, you have time to see some of the sites. Going to volcano is a full day trip and be prepared for wet weather, it depends on how the trade winds are blowing. Just so you know, there aren’t any active lava flows, at least there weren’t a few weeks ago. The helicopter rides are $$, if you decide to go, go early in the day since the clouds build during the day. In our last trip, we went on a waterfall tour with Hawaii Forest and Trail that went on private land on the north end of the island out of Hawi. We both enjoyed it. Here’s a link: Hawaii Tours: Hawaii Volcano Tours, Big Island Tours | Hawaii Forest & Trail.
Add a minimum, pick up the book by Wizard publications, Big Island Revealed and do it yourself: Hawaii The Big Island Revealed - The Ultimate Guidebook
As far as diving, if you have a 5mm, take it the water isn’t as warm as the Caribbean. Pack light and have fun. They have been seeing tons of Manta’s on the night dives.

If you are going to use one of the "Reviled" guide book series, please pick it up used in some thrift store.

Supporting the publisher and author with a "new" purchase is bad juju; they have ruined many adventure experiences, in many corners of the State of Hawaii, by detailing adventures that trespass and violate other laws, with visitor injuries and property damages that have caused both private and public areas to now be permanently closed to human exploration.

FYI re: Kilauea - daily eruption status updates can be found here

I'll second DiveMaven's advice - the volcano area should be high on your list of things to see.
Place of Refuge area is closer to Kona and is a great snorkel spot.

As for liveaboard diving, I also start getting cold more easily after the 3rd or 4th day, four dives per day.
I use 3mm with vest and hood, dive socks, 5mm booties (plus natural neoprene:D).

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom