Kona Aggressor Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tubbyka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be doing our first liveaboad in July on the Kona Aggressor. I have a few questions I could use some help with.

1. We are coming in 3 days early to do some sightseeing and exploring. Will the elevation changes be an issue if we go to the Volcano National Park, then start diving 2 days later?
2. What are the must see's on the island? We're staying at the King Kam, coming in Wednesday, and getting on the boat Saturday. So we have all of Thursday and Friday to tour the island, then part of Saturday.
3. What things do we need to know about liveaboard diving? I think I've read almost everything on here, but am always up for more hints and info.
4. Any advice for liveaboard diving or Big Island tours?

Thanks for everyone's help!

JB

It's only an issue if you go to elevation after diving.

You might do a shore dive at Place of Refuge. It's one of the best. Unless Aggresor goes there.

Last edited:
As mentioned, the elevation only matters after you've been diving (which is why you can go diving after flying, but not the other way around). I don't know what the itinerary of the Aggressor is, but make sure you don't leave the island without having done the manta night dive.

As far as other things to do on the big island, I'll let someone else answer that. Only been to Hawaii once and split our time between Kona and Maui -- most of our good activities occurred on the latter.

I've been to the Big Island twice, and absolutely love it there. Volcanoes National Park is a must see. When my wife and I were there a couple of years ago, you couldn't see the lava from anywhere within easy hiking distance, so we paid for the helicopter tour (doors off!), which was expensive, but worth it in my mind. As another poster mentioned, Place of Refuge is a great place to dive or snorkel. One of the things we did was drive all the way around the island over two days, stopping every couple of hours to see the sights in the guidebook. It's a beautiful drive.

If you're into history, there is an ancient Hawaiian temple in the northwest part of the island, near Kawaihae. There is a visitor center there that gives you good information about it. Hilo is supposed to be quite rainy, but it was nice when we were there, and there are some very nice waterfalls nearby. I don't remember exactly where, but I would imagine any guidebook could direct you to them. The advantage of staying in Hilo a night is that Volcanoes National Park is only 45 minutes away, versus 2.5 hours or so from Kona. South Point at the very southern tip of the island was fun - there's a 30 foot cliff you can jump off if you're so inclined. In Kona, don't miss the Kona Brewing Company, which is about a 3 minute walk from your hotel. Even if you don't like beer, it has terrific pizza and other food.

James

I did the Kona Aggressor a few years ago and had a great time. The boat was very stable, the food great and the diving wonderful. For a liveaboard you won't need much in the way of clothing. Most of the time you will be in a bathing suit. Be sure to bring 2 or 3 so you can change into a dry one for meals. I spent the whole week barefoot on the boat. I wish I could give you advice for onshore activities but we didn't spend much time on the island. Have a good trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom