Kona Aggressor trip help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ill be on the Kona Aggressor Dec 8. I have some questions for anyone willing to help.

1. Exposure protection. I usually just use a 3MM shorty. I mostly dive Cozumel and the Caribbean, but I dont get cold easily thanks to plenty of ''insulation.'' Should I buy a hood prior, or will I be chilly with that number of dives in your water? I had no such issues with that number of dives per day in Thailand, but I understand that is 6-8 degrees warmer, minimum.

2. Im flying in the night before and will have all day on Saturday to look around. Ill be renting a car. Any ``must see'' places or restaurants? Im considering just driving up the mountain, but im up for anything.

3. What should I be looking for on the reef? Usually I just float along and just love everything, so im not hard to impress. Anything the local divers take pride in seeing or are home just to Kona?

Any other tips or recommendations are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Aloha!

E8AF9C92-AC3C-4969-BAAC-2491A1D14360.jpeg
44B21066-7CBF-429E-84AF-793D9A4D2553.jpeg
I have been diving with a 3mm shorty in Kona waters so you seem good to me re. warmth. OTH a hood or better yet a hooded vest is easy to pack and provides “insurance.” Bring a light for caves, crevices and night diving.

Good restaurants iimho are Umekes,Kona Brewery, Splashers and in Waikaloa there’s Lava Lava with nice sunset setting. Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea is great for breakfast if you’re hungry. Beware the portions. Banana-macadamia pancakes are the ticket.

I’ve been seeing mantas, octopus and eels regularly. Dolphins occasionally and even a Whale Shark last week. (See photo) We have seen tiger sharks the last two weeks at Honokohau Harbor. Nice life-filled dive there from shore or boat. The night Manta Dive, at garden eel cove, is very cool too and they have been pretty regular. I can also recommend the night pelagic dive which some shops offer as a special experience.

I dive with Kona Honu divers who are very very helpful, give them a call (808) 324-4668 and ask them for latest.

If you’re considering driving to the top of Mauna Kea, call1 (808) 935-6268 first. May be ice/snow. Don’t go if that’s the case. Also, they get snitty if you don’t have 4wd although the road usually isn’t that challenging except for flat-landers. They won’t forbid passenger car but you may have to argue. Low gear. No worse than half the mountain roads in WVA. Will be very cold and windy at 13k plus. Dress accordingly. Unreal place in right conditions.

The drive to Waimea then over to Hawi and Pololu Valley is beautiful and much easier. Max altitude is 5k and moderate temps. Scenic as all get out.

Nothing special needed for other volcanoes or Volcanoes NP. Volcanoes NP isn’t fully open after last eruption and it is a full day from Kona and back. So check weather and what’s open. Great place though. Weather a factor though esp rain.

Enjoy. Should be great.

Would love to see another Whale Shark. Great shot! The one in Thailand blew me away. Ice and snow doesnt even phase me, its ismy usual winter commute. Though I dont need to push it for my vacation.

``Banana-macadamia pancakes are the ticket.''
My god man!!!

Thanks for the tips!

A couple things.

Akaka Falls State Park is worth a stop if you're in the area. IIRC it's sort of near VNP.

Nice, pricey meal -.Roys in Waikaloa if you drive up that way - it's about 45? mins from Kona. Roys Hawaii | Roys Waikoloa

IDK the name but there's an outdoor restaurant just across the street from the pier - it's a good place to wait.since you can see the boat. Might be some fellow passengers there They don't want you on the boat while they're prepping it but you should have been given a number to call for a crew member to come and take your bags.

Pre-book the car - airport walk ups are hysterically over-priced.

Thanks for the advice. Ive had my car for a couple weeks. Didnt know what kind of ``rush'' there is, if at all, this time of year.

Aloha!

I'm sure you're counting down the days! The Aggressor is such a great operation over there in Kona! Having been a divemaster in Hawaii for almost 20 years I would really suggest something warmer than the 3mm shortie or even more than a 3mm. Keep in mind that the water will be considerably cooler than what you likely experienced in the Caribbean. Waters will be mid 70's at that point - but more of the issue will likely be doing 4-5 dives per day potentially approaching 60min per dive. That amount of exposure can impact you more than the typical 2 dive days. It's always best to err on the side of warmth. It's been several years since I worked on the Aggressor but at the time I was there they had little options after you are on the boat if you are cold. They are VERY good about getting rental suits from Jack's (or were when I was there), so you may wish to inquire if they can obtain/you can rent a just in case suit. Minimally it may be worth investing in a lava core or sharkskin to layer. It's such an amazing week long trip that I'd hate for you to be mid week and wish you had something warmer. Although it is only 1 or 2 dives - the manta ray night dive encourages or even requires kneeling on the bottom for much of the dive. The Pelagic magic dive can get chilly as well as you are not moving during the dive as you are just attached to a down line as I recall.

I hope this helps a bit. Additionally, I'd love to see a trip report on how your trip goes! Good luck and I hope you have an amazing experience on your Kona diving trip!
A

Aloha!

I'm sure you're counting down the days! The Aggressor is such a great operation over there in Kona! Having been a divemaster in Hawaii for almost 20 years I would really suggest something warmer than the 3mm shortie or even more than a 3mm. Keep in mind that the water will be considerably cooler than what you likely experienced in the Caribbean. Waters will be mid 70's at that point - but more of the issue will likely be doing 4-5 dives per day potentially approaching 60min per dive. That amount of exposure can impact you more than the typical 2 dive days. It's always best to err on the side of warmth. It's been several years since I worked on the Aggressor but at the time I was there they had little options after you are on the boat if you are cold. They are VERY good about getting rental suits from Jack's (or were when I was there), so you may wish to inquire if they can obtain/you can rent a just in case suit. Minimally it may be worth investing in a lava core or sharkskin to layer. It's such an amazing week long trip that I'd hate for you to be mid week and wish you had something warmer. Although it is only 1 or 2 dives - the manta ray night dive encourages or even requires kneeling on the bottom for much of the dive. The Pelagic magic dive can get chilly as well as you are not moving during the dive as you are just attached to a down line as I recall.

I hope this helps a bit. Additionally, I'd love to see a trip report on how your trip goes! Good luck and I hope you have an amazing experience on your Kona diving trip!
A

Thanks for the tips. Ive ordered a bibbed hood, Ill look into the sharkskin.

Hi nashwl!

How was your trip? My husband and I are hoping to go to Hawaii in March and are debating between the Kona Aggressor or just staying in a hotel so we would love to hear any details or tips you have to share!

I don't mean to bombard you with questions but...

Are you glad you chose the Aggressor?
Was the bibbed hood and shortie warm enough or did you get chilled?
Does a Dive Master go on most of the dives to show the way and to point out critters?
How are the rooms? Would a suitcase fit under the bed?
Any tips or suggestions?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Hi nashwl!

How was your trip? My husband and I are hoping to go to Hawaii in March and are debating between the Kona Aggressor or just staying in a hotel so we would love to hear any details or tips you have to share!

I don't mean to bombard you with questions but...

Are you glad you chose the Aggressor?
Was the bibbed hood and shortie warm enough or did you get chilled?
Does a Dive Master go on most of the dives to show the way and to point out critters?
How are the rooms? Would a suitcase fit under the bed?
Any tips or suggestions?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

I had a great trip and I am writing a review. Christmas and traveling to Texas right after my trip has me way behind. I will gladly answer in depth, as best I can, later tomorrow/today.

Thank you so much! I know this time of year can be crazy busy. Even if you just get a quick chance to say: it was awesome, no it sucked, or yes with caveats. (There's a seat sale on so I need to book quick.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom