Kona and Kohala reef health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're looking into a trip to the Big Island and would be staying near Kona & Kohala. I've been looking at videos and pictures on the web - and doing some reading - and it appears that in 2015 there was a significant bleaching event and the reef is in rough shape in these areas. What I read says that it's better in south Kohala than in north Kona - which means very little to me sitting in Missouri. Would it be best to wait a few years for the reef to recover or are the reports exaggerated? I'd really appreciate some input. This will probably be a trip we won't repeat so I'm trying to do my research. Thanks!

I've been to the big island twice in the last two months to dive and did several shore dives in the Kohala area and it was great. There is great shore diving along Puako road on the Kona side but there is also some good shore diving on the Hilo side as well. PM me if you would like some shop names to use it just depends on what services you need or want.

Last year we dove in Hilo and Kona. Compared to Cozumel, the corals were pretty bleached and not that colourful. There were however LOTS of fish, more than Cozumel I would say. We also saw quite a few turtles and some White Tip sharks. The highlight for me was hearing the Humpback Whale calls.

Hawaii is definitely worthwhile....

This is great news! I did find an article today that indicated that things are rebounding but didn't say what it looks like at present (it had some science-y talk in it and was over my head but seemed encouraging!). (here's the link for the article: Feature Article: The Great Hawaiian Coral Bleaching Event of 2015: The Untold Story)
I was diving along Kona cost in Nov-Dec 2015. I confirm their findings that cauliflower and antler corals were the most affected by bleaching. But also plate corals which Riddle did not mention were bleached rather badly, at Honaunau wall, for example.

I am in South Kohala now just south of Puako. The corals look better than the same places a year ago. Some bleaching is apparent but a portion of corals badly bleached ladt year seem better. Of course, another portion died and has algae on it. Deeper water is better, shallower areas got hotter.

The news from Seychelles are quite depressing to me. Good news, some reefs had recovered since the 1998 bleach. Bad news, only 12 out of 21 did. It is not the "half full vs. half empty" dilemma. It means, every great bleaching event leads to irreversible damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom