Kona in January???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midge907

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I need some input. I have gone to Cozumel the last two winters in January, and Roatan the year before that in January. I have dove Kona, Maui, and Oahu only during the summer, but was thinking of going to Kona this January rather then going to Cozumel or anywhere else in the Caribbean. As we all know, winter is winter no mater where you go and their is always more chances of being blown out on a trip in January, however I know what the probability is in the Caribbean. So I guess the big question is what are your thought on Kona vs. Cozumel in January when it comes to sea conditions especially considering that Kona will be mostly shore diving. I was avoiding Hawaii in January before due to water temps, but figure I could suffer and put on my 5mm suit, rather then my 2/3 that I where in Cozumel during Januarys. So again what are your thoughts?

live in Maui and wear my 2.5 mil all year. I have some insulation though.

live in Maui and wear my 2.5 mil all year. I have some insulation though.
Being in the scuba business over there, do you find yourself not being able to dive due to sea conditions in January very often? I don't have much insulation myself so anything lower then 76-78 puts me in my 5mm after a few days of diving.

In winter in Kona, most visitors use full 5mm suits; locals and guides will be in 7mm with a hood. I'd bring a hood with you either way, easy way to make yourself warmer for very little extra packing space.

Expect water temp in Jan to be 75-76 give or take, no thermoclines; coldest is Marchish with winter lows usually 74ish (coldest I've ever seen is 72).

We average 5-10 days a YEAR where the day boats do not run do to weather conditions (swells usually, only very rarely local storms), with manta having a few more weather-related cancellations due to there only being 2 manta sites. If the boats can get out of the harbor, there are many places to hide from swell/wind to go diving. So if you're planning on shore diving exclusively in the winter, just be prepared to jump on a boat for a day or two if we happen to have a big swell event when you're in town.

Plan your shore diving in winter that when conditions are good, you dive the sites that are less protected, saving the protected ones (like Two Step) for moderate swell days. If you don't know which sites are protected or not, talk to the local shops or hire a local guide to help you get the most out of your dive trip.

A hui hou.

Thanks for the much thought out responses, really appreciate them and the advice. You doing GUE fundamentals in Kona in January MER?

Being in the scuba business over there, do you find yourself not being able to dive due to sea conditions in January very often? I don't have much insulation myself so anything lower then 76-78 puts me in my 5mm after a few days of diving.

Aloha, Usually the North shore gets the large swells in January and we are shielded in the shores. Sometimes we do get wrap around swells or rain run off from the mountains that can murk up the water.

I imagine 2-Step is shielded most of the time then. I know I was there one day and the beach down at the bottom of Paradise neighbor hood (black sand/pebble?) was rocking when we were finishing up our first dive, so we had to cancel the second dive.

Thanks for the much thought out responses, really appreciate them and the advice. You doing GUE fundamentals in Kona in January MER?
Yup, I have a GUE Fundamentals on the schedule in Jan in Kona. Dates are flexible at moment. PM me if you would like more info.

Back
Top Bottom